Story Links

Nov. 27, 2002

Box Score

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The William & Mary Tribe advanced past the #6 seeded Virginia Cavaliers in the second round of the 2002 NCAA Division I Men’s Soccer Championship in front of 2,094 spectators at UVa’s Kl?ckner Stadium. The contest was decided on penalty kicks when the game ended in a 1-1 tie after regulation and following two additional periods of sudden-death overtime. The Tribe outscored the Cavaliers 3-2 on penalty kicks to advance to the third round of the tournament to face the Penn State Nittany Lions. William & Mary’s Bryan Hinkle converted the deciding penalty kick for the Tribe.

Virginia took an early 1-0 lead when forward Alecko Eskandarian scored his school-record 25th goal of the season on a breakaway following a misplayed ball near midfield. Eskandarian stole a ball that was played back into the William & Mary backfield by a Tribe player and beat W&M goalkeeper Trevor Upton with a one-timer at 19:20. The Cavaliers took their 1-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

Virginia was dealt a blow following the start of the second period and had to play a man down near the 40 minute mark when defender Hunter Freeman picked up his second yellow card of the match, resulting in his ejection from the contest. UVa held its one-goal lead for most of the second period until just under nine minutes remaining to play. The Tribe tied the game at 1-1 when Graham Albert scored the game-tying goal at the 81:29 mark. Albert gathered a loose ball in the box following a corner kick that was not cleared away from the box area and chipped-in a shot from five yards out to knot the score at 1-1. Albert’s goal forced overtime when the game ended at 1-1 in regulation. Neither team was able to score a goal in either the first or second overtime period, forcing a penalty kick shootout between both teams.

In the shootout session, William an Mary’s Hinkle converted the Tribe’s third point of the shootout which proved to be the game-deciding kick, allowing William & Mary to advance past the Cavaliers on penalty kicks, 3-2.

The Tribe’s Upton made two saves in goal to preserve the win for W&M, while UVa goalkeeper David Comfort collected four saves in the loss.

With the victory, William & Marry improves to 15-7-1 overall, while the loss drops Virginia’s record to 15-7-0 on the season. The defeated eliminated UVa from the tournament and ended the Cavaliers 2002 season. The loss was UVa’s first this season at home in Kl?ckner Stadium (12-1-0). Virginia is now 14-7-4 all-time against William & Mary, with the Tribe winning the last two in the series following a pair of wins over the Cavaliers this season. William & Mary will now advance to play Penn State in the third round on November 30th or December 1st.

Scoring				1	2	OT	OT	FWilliam & Mary	(15-7-1)		0	1	0	0	1*Virginia		(15-7-0)		1	0	0	0	1

* William & Mary advances after outscoring Virginia 3-2 on penalty kicks.

William & Mary PK's:Garcia - ConvertedBrown - SavedBean - ConvertedHinkle - Converted
Virginia PK's:Eskandarian - SavedArena - ConvertedLeBlanc - ConvertedCole - SavedKelly - Failed Kick
Goals: Virginia 1 - Eskandarian (unassisted) @ 19:20.William & Mary 1 - Albert (unassisted) @ 81:29.Shots: Virginia 10, William & Mary 10.Corner Kicks: Virginia 5, William & Mary 4.Saves: Virginia 4, William & Mary 2.Fouls: Virginia 26, William & Mary 26.Offsides: William & Mary 4, Virginia 1.Cautions: Virginia 4 - Freeman (two yellow cards, one red), Oliver (yellow).William & Mary 2 - Voss (yellow), Garcia (yellow).Attendance: 2,094. 

— UVa —

Print Friendly Version