Cavalier Women's Tennis Drops Match at TCU
March 10, 2004
FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 43 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team dropped the second match of its spring break trip to Texas, falling 5-2 Wednesday to No. 45 TCU in Fort Worth. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ overall record to 9-4 on the season.
TCU (5-6) took the early advantage by sweeping the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. Virginia drew even early in singles play as Marta Bechliwanis (Etobicoke, Ont.) posted a straight set win over Paige Brown 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5. The Horned Frogs retook the lead at 2-1 as No. 39 ranked Paty Aburto downed Mariko Fritz-Krockow (Fairfax, Va.) at No. 1. Virginia once again tied the match as Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) won at No. 2, 6-2, 6-1, over Jenn Chay. The Cavaliers could not overcome falling behind in each of the other three matches, as TCU won at No. 3, No. 4, and No. 6 to win the match 5-2.
The Cavaliers return home Sunday, March 14, as they open the ACC schedule against Florida State. Play begins at the Snyder Tennis Center at 11:00 a.m.
No. 45 TCU 5, No. 43 Virginia 2
1. No. 39 Paty Aburto (TCU) def. Mariko Fritz-Krockow (UVa) 6-0, 6-2
2. Kristen James (UVa) def. Jenn Chay (TCU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Saber Pierce (TCU) def. Lauren Bruch (UVa), 6-2, 6-4
4. Ana Cetnik (TCU) def. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-5, 7-5
5. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Paige Brown (TCU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) def. Shannon Stough (UVa) 7-6, 6-2
1. No. 33 Pierce/Cetnik (TCU) def. Bruch/Fritz-Krockow (UVa) 8-5
2. Aburto/Mancinas (TCU) def. James-Stough (UVa) 8-4
3. Brown/Lopez (TCU) def. Hammond-D. Bechliwanis (UVa) 8-1