Cavalier Men's Tennis Tops Colorado
March 22, 2004
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 16 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team extended its win streak to six matches Monday night by defeating Colorado 5-2 at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The win brings the Cavaliers’ record to 15-1 on the season, continuing the best start in school history.
The Cavaliers took an early advantage by taking the doubles point. Virginia secured the point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) downed Chad Tsuda and Marek Dvorak at No. 2 to clinch the point after Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) and Stephen Rozek (Chardon, Ohio) cruised to a 8-3 win at No. 3 over Elliot Quibell and Peter Bjork.
In singles play, the Cavaliers extended their advantage to 2-0 as Stewart, the nation’s No. 24 ranked player, wasted little time topping Marko Bundalo 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1. After the Buffaloes had closed the advantage to 2-1, Virginia clinched the match with straight set wins at No. 6 and No. 4 from Cohen and Miklo. Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) provided the final point of the night for Virginia with a third-set super-breaker win at No. 5.
The Cavaliers return to conference play on Friday, March 26 as they visit Clemson.
No. 16 Virginia 5, Colorado 2
1. No. 24 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Marko Bundalo (CU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Peter Bjork (CU) def. Rylan Rizza (UVa) 6-4, 6-2
3. Marcos Digliodo (CU) def. Stephen Rozek (UVa) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Marek Dvorak (CU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Chad Tsuda (CU) 7-6, 5-7, 10-5
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Justin Rofel (CU) 6-2, 7-6
1. Digliodo/Bundalo (CU) def. No. 17 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) 9-7
2. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Tsuda/Dvorak (CU) 8-5
3. Rozek/Miklo (UVa) def. Quibell/Bjork (CU) 8-3