Cavalier Men's Tennis Suffers First ACC Loss to North Carolina
April 3, 2004
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 12 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team suffered its first ACC loss of the season to No. 18 North Carolina 5-2 Saturday in a battle of the ACC leaders at the Snyder Tennis Center. The loss snaps the Cavaliers’ seven match win streak as they fall to 16-2 overall, 5-1 in the ACC.
The Tar Heels (20-2, 6-0)took an early 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point. Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) won for the Cavaliers at No. 2, but North Carolina posted wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
In singles play, the Cavaliers rallied early in singles to take a 2-1 lead. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) tied the match with his 6-0, 6-1 win over Andy Metzler at No. 3. Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) then posted a straight set win over Derek Porter at No. 2 to give Virginia a 2-1 lead. However, the Tar Heels would win the remaining four matches on the court to post the 5-2 win.
“This match will hopefully build some character with our team,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We have another top team tomorrow in TCU and we have to refocus. Weekends like this are what help you build elite programs.”
The Cavaliers host No. 14 TCU Sunday at the Snyder Tennis Center at noon.
No. 18 North Carolina 5, No. 14 Virginia 2
1. No. 31 Nick Monroe (UNC) def. No. 21 Doug Stewart (UVa) 6-7, 7-5, 7-5
2. Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Derek Porter (UNC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Andy Metzler (UNC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Raian Luchici (UNC) def. Stephen Rozek (UVa) 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
5. Brad Pomeroy (UNC) def. Nick Meythaler (UVa) 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Geoff Boyd (UNC) def. Darrin Cohen (UVa) 6-2, 6-2
1. No. 21 Monroe/Boyd (UNC) def. No. 14 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) 8-3
2. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Pomeroy/Metzler (UNC) 8-3
3. Janda/Luchici (UNC) def. Rozek/Miklo (UVa) 8-3