Men's Tennis Ties Best Ever Conference Record with Win at Maryland
April 7, 2004
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The No. 15 ranked Virginia men’s tennis team tied its best conference record ever with a 6-1 win Wednesday over Maryland at the Tennis Center of College Park. The victory improves the Cavaliers’ record to 17-3 on the season and 6-1 in the ACC. The 6-1 conference record ties the record 6-1 mark set by the 1961 team.
The Cavaliers took control of the match early by sweeping the three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. The No. 31 ranked team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) won at No. 1 before Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) won at No. 2 to clinch the point. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) and Stephen Rozek (Chardon, Ohio) completed the sweep with their win at No. 3.
In singles play, the Cavaliers wasted little time extending their lead to 3-0. Rizza opened singles play with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Troy Demers and Miklo topped Scott Peters 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2. Meythaler clinched the dual match as he rallied for a 2-6, 6-2, 6-1 win over Scott Fink at No. 4. After Maryland cut the advantage to 4-1, the Cavaliers concluded the match by winning the final two matches on the courts as Cohen won at No. 5 and Burak Ahmed (Boca Raton, Fla.) won at No. 6.
“It was good to get some momentum back after a tough weekend,” said assistant coach Tony Bresky. “I thought we did a good job of overcoming the wind today and now we have to get ready for a tough match tomorrow against Old Dominion.”
The Cavaliers return to action Thursday as they host No. 60 Old Dominion at the Snyder Tennis Center. The match was postponed from March 17 due to weather.
No. 15 Virginia 6, Maryland 1
1. Rylan Rizza def. Troy Demers (UM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Scott Peters (UM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ian Bliss (UM) def. Stephen Rozek (UVa) 4-6, 7-6, 10-7
4. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Scott Fink (UM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Dave Reichsfeld (UM) 6-0, 6-3
6. Burak Ahmed (UVa) def. John O’Rourke (UM) 6-3, 6-4
1. No. 31 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. Bliss/Peters (UM) 8-2
2. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Theis/Dawson (UM) 8-1
3. Rozek/Miklo (UVa) def. Demers/Reichsfeld (UM) 8-5