Cavalier Women's Tennis Downed at William & Mary
Feb. 26, 2005
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The No. 53 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team suffered a 6-1 loss to No. 26 William & Mary Saturday night at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center. The match was the first between the schools in nearly a decade (1996).
Virginia (3-4) fell behind early after the Tribe (5-1) took the doubles point. The No. 21 ranked team of Diana Srebrovic (Oakville, Ont.) and Douglas Wink (Greensboro, N.C.) downed No. 25 ranked Candice Fuchs and Megan Moulton-Levy at No. 1 doubles, but William & Mary won at No. 3 doubles to draw even. With the doubles point on the line, William & Mary’s No. 36 ranked team of Megan Muth and Amy Wei defeated Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) and Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) in a tiebreaker.
In singles, the Cavaliers got a win at No. 1 singles, where No. 52 ranked Srebrovic downed No. 48 ranked Moulton-Levy in straight sets. With the victory, Srebrovic was able to avenge two losses to Moulton-Levy in the fall, two of Srebrovic’s four losses this season. However, that victory was not enough for the Cavaliers, as the Tribe took the other five singles matches for the 6-1 win.
The Cavaliers will return to action on Sunday, February 27 as they visit No. 61 VCU.
No. 26 William & Mary 6, No. 53 Virginia 1
1. #21 Srebrovic/Wink (UVa) def. #25 Fuchs/Moulton-Levy (WM) 8-2
2. #36 Muth/Wei (WM) def. James/Stern (UVa) 9-8 (4)
3. Boomershine/Sherbakov (WM) def. Pereira/DelPriore (UVa) 8-3
1. #52 Diana Srebrovic (UVa) def. #48 Megan Moulton-Levy (WM) 6-4, 6-2
2. #39 Megan Muth (WM) def. Douglas Wink (UVa) 6-4, 6-1
3. Lena Sherbakov (WM) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
4. Candice Fuchs (WM) def. Lori Stern (UVa) 7-6, 6-0
5. Amy Wei (WM) def. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
6. Lingda Yang (WM) def. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-4, 6-4