Virginia Women's Tennis Falls at Pepperdine
March 9, 2005
MALIBU, Calif. – The No. 64 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team completed its spring break trip to California with a 5-2 loss to No. 35 Pepperdine on Wednesday afternoon. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ record to 4-6 on the season.
Pepperdine (8-3) took an early lead when they swept the three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. With the Cavaliers needing to win four singles matches, they were able to win just two. Marta Bechliwanis (Etobicoke, Ont.) rallied after dropping the first set to defeat Eva Dickes 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) posted a straight set win, 6-4, 7-5, over Merve Asimgil at No. 6 singles.
“I thought we played a great match today,” said Virginia head coach Phil Rogers. “We are a little shorthanded right now and that makes it tough when you play a quality team like Pepperdine. I think our team has rallied together through some the adversity we have faced recently and played some excellent tennis.”
The Cavaliers open ACC play next week as they visit Miami and Florida State.
No. 35 Pepperdine 5, No. 64 Virginia 2
1. Raba/Kosakowski (Pepp) def. Stern/James (UVa) 9-7
2. Dickes/Dulgheru (Pepp) def. Pereira/DelPriore (UVa) 8-1
3. Braverman/Asimgil (Pepp) def. Hammond/D. Bechliwanis (UVa) 8-3
1. Caroline Raba (Pepp) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-2, 6-3
2. Natalie Braverman (Pepp) def. Lori Stern (UVa) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. #86 Bianca Dulgheru (Pepp) def. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6
4. Sylvia Kosakowski (Pepp) def. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-1, 6-2
5. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) def. Eva Dickes (Pepp) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Merve Asimgil (Pepp) 6-4, 7-5