Men's Tennis Scholarship Named in Honor of Hal Burrows, Jr.
March 15, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – Harold M. Burrows, Jr., perhaps the most decorated men’s tennis player from the University of Virginia, has had a scholarship named in his honor. The announcement was made during a break at UVa’s tennis match against Notre Dame at the Country Club of Virginia in Richmond on Feb. 27 and was a surprise to Burrows who was in attendance at the match. This endowed scholarship will be awarded annually to the UVa men’s tennis player who embodies Burrows spirit of competition–hard work, integrity, and sportsmanship.
Burrows, a graduate of Lane High School in Charlottesville, entered UVa in 1942 after winning the Virginia State High School tennis title, but then enlisted in the US Army Air Corps and saw active duty in World War II. He was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation, two Oak Leaf Clusters and seven Battle Stars for his military service.
He re-entered UVa in 1947 and captained the UVa tennis team for four years, earning All-America honors in 1948. During his collegiate playing career, he was the three-time Virginia State Men’s Champion and played at Forest Hills in 1946. He graduated in 1950 from the McIntire School of Commerce.
From 1952-53 he defeated some of the top names on the men’s tennis tour and in 1954 played doubles on the US Davis Cup Team with Straight Clark. The team of Burrows-Clark was one of the tour’s top doubles teams reaching the finals of the National Clay Courts, the semi-finals of the nationals and quarterfinals of Paris, Rome and Wimbledon. After leaving the tour, Burrows became the director of tennis at The Homestead Resort and later served in the same capacity at The Country Club of Virginia.
Aside from his tennis accomplishments, Burrows has been described by friends as the “perfect gentleman” both on and off the tennis court.
For more information on the scholarship, please contact the Virginia Athletics Foundation (800) 626-8723 or (434) 982-5555.