Cavalier Women's Tennis Falls to Miami in ACC Opener
March 18, 2005
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The No. 64 ranked Virginia women’s tennis team opened their 2005 conference schedule with a 7-0 loss to No. 10 Miami Friday night at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ record to 4-7 (0-1 ACC) while Miami improves to 12-2 (4-0).
Miami opened the match by taking the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. The Cavaliers the win at No. 2 doubles, where first-years Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) and Rachel DelPriore (Williamsville, N.Y.) topped Melissa Applebaum and Caren Seenauth 9-8.
In singles, the Hurricanes swept the six matches to complete the 7-0 win. Five of the matches were decided in straight sets, including at No. 1 where Kristen James (Clifton, Va.) was defeated by Megan Bradley, the nation’s topped ranked player. Lori Stern (Ojai, Calif.) rallied to force a third-set against Staci Stevens at No. 2 singles, only to fall in the third set.
The Cavaliers continue their road trip Sunday at Florida State.
No. 10 Miami 7, No. 64 Virginia 0
1. (1) Megan Bradley (UM) def. Kristen James (UVa) 6-0, 6-1
2. Staci Stevens (UM) def. Lori Stern (UVa) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
3. Melissa Applebaum (UM) def. Rachel DelPriore (UVa) 6-1, 6-4
4. Patricia Starzyk (UM) def. Dora Bechliwanis (UVa) 6-1, 6-2
5. (70) Emily Mowery (UM) def. Marta Bechliwanis (UVa) 7-6, 6-1
6. Audrey Banada (UM) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 6-4, 6-2
1. (4) Bradley/Banada (UM) def. Stern/James (UVa) 8-2
2. Delpriore/Pereira (UVa) def. Applebaum/Caren Seenauth (UM) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Starzyk/Juliette Mavroleon (UM) def. Caroline Hammond/M. Bechliwanis (UVa) 8-4