Cavalier Men's Tennis Remains Unbeaten in ACC With Win Over Miami
April 2, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The third ranked Virginia men’s tennis team remained undefeated in the ACC with a 4-0 win over Miami Saturday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The win was the Cavaliers’ 12th consecutive home victory, setting a new school record.
The Cavaliers (17-2, 5-0) opened the match strong by taking the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) and Doug Stewart (Malibu, Calif.) posted a 8-5 win over Josh Cohen and Ryan Waits at No. 3 doubles. Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) and Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) then clinched the point with their 8-3 win over Eric Hechtman and John Hoyes at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Cavalier advantage was extended to 2-0 when Stewart downed Josh Cohen in straight sets at the No. 1 position. Devvarman made the score 3-0 when he completed a 6-4, 6-4 win over Hechtman at No. 3 singles. No. 56 ranked Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) clinched the match with his three set win over No. 67 ranked Tim Krebs at No. 2 singles. Due to the delayed start because of rain and court availability, the match was stopped once the Cavaliers had clinched.
The Cavaliers will return to action on Wednesday, April 6 as they host Maryland at the Snyder Tennis Center. Match time is 3:00 p.m.
No. 3 Virginia 4, Miami 0
1. #41 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) led Krebs/Subramanian (UM) 7-6 DNF
2. Devvarman/Huey (UVa) def. Hechtman/Hoyes (UM) 8-3
3. Cohen/Stewart (UVa) def. Cohen/Waits (UM) 8-5
1. #8 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. Josh Cohen (UM) 6-2, 6-4
2. #56 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. #67 Tim Krebs (UM) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(2)
3. #15 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Eric Hechtman (UM) 6-4, 6-4
4. Treat Huey (UVa) led John Hoyes (UM) 6-5 DNF
5. Marko Miklo (UVa) led Vivek Subramanian (UM) 6-3, 1-1 DNF
6. #48 Darrin Cohen (UVa) vs. Ryan Waits – Not Played