No. 1 Cavalier Men's Tennis Upset at No. 9 Pepperdine in Season Opener
Jan. 17, 2006
MALIBU, Calif. – The top-ranked Cavalier men’s tennis team opened the season with a 4-3 loss to No. 9 Pepperdine Tuesday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The loss marks the first time since 2002 that the Cavaliers (0-1) have lost their season opener.
The No. 9 Waves (1-0) got off to a strong start by taking the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. The team of Scott Doerner and Andre Begemann upset No. 19 ranked Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) at No. 1 doubles. The No. 31 ranked team of Pedro Rico and Ivor Lovrak downed Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) and Eric Riley (Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.) at No. 2 doubles 8-6. The No. 3 doubles match was abandoned.
That doubles point proved critical as the teams split the six singles matches, with Pepperdine winning at the No. 1-3 positions and the Cavaliers winning at the No. 4-6 positions. At No. 4, Huey cruised to a 6-2, 6-3 win over Begemann. Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) recorded a win at No. 5, downing Richard Johnson 7-5, 7-5. Cohen rallied for a win at No. 6 singles, defeating Denis Reinert 1-6, 6-2, 6-0.
“Pepperdine is a good team; they played a great match today and deserved to win,” said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. “This was a good learning experience for our team and we will rebound from this.”
The Cavaliers will return to action on Wednesday as they visit No. 20 USC. Match time is 1:00 p.m.
No. 9 Pepperdine 4, No. 1 Virginia 3
1. Doerner/Begemann (Pepp) def. #19 Cohen/Rizza (UVa) 8-3
2. #31 Rico/Lovrak (Pepp) def. Huey/Riley (UVa) 8-6
3. Devvarman/Meythaler (UVa) vs. Borzenski/Johnson (Pepp) DNF
1. Scott Doerner (Pepp) def. Doug Stewart (UVa) 6-3, 6-2
2. #100 Pedro Rico (Pepp) def. #10 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ivor Lovrak (Pepp) def. #53 Rylan Rizza (UVa) 6-3, 6-0
4. #6 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Andre Begemann (Pepp) 6-2, 6-3
5. #46 Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Richard Johnson (Pepp) 7-5, 7-5
6. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Denis Reinert (Pepp) 1-6, 6-2, 6-0