Cavalier Men's Tennis Defeats No. 20 Southern California 5-2
Jan. 18, 2006
LOS ANGELES – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team posted its first win of the season Wednesday afternoon, defeating No. 20 Southern California 5-2 at the Marks Tennis Stadium. The win improves the Cavaliers’ record to 1-1 on the season, while the Trojans fall to 0-1.
For the second consecutive match, the Cavaliers fell behind early by dropping the doubles point. The No. 19 ranked team of Rylan Rizza (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) and Darrin Cohen (Lafayette, Calif.) scored a win at No. 1 doubles, but the Trojans won at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to take the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers won the first matches off the courts to take a 3-1 lead in the match. Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) scored a straight set win at the No. 1 position, Rizza won in straight sets at No. 4, and Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) won in straight sets at No. 6 singles. After USC had cut the Virginia advantage to 3-2 with a three set win at No. 2, the Cavaliers clinched the win with a pair of three set wins. Treat Huey (Alexandia, Va.) clinched the victory with his 6-4, 6-7, 7-6 win over Adam Loucks at No. 3 singles. Nick Meythaler (Owensboro, Ky.) closed out the match with a 5-7, 7-6, 6-1 win over Garrett Snyder at No. 5 singles.
The Cavaliers will return to action on Saturday when they visit No. 54 Minnesota. The team will come home to open the new Virginia Indoor Tennis Stadium at the Boar’s Head Sports Club on Wednesday, January 25 when it hosts No. 33 VCU.
No. 1 Virginia 5, No. 20 Southern California 2
(1) #19 Rizza/Cohen (UVa) def. Cvetkovic/Wang (USC) 9-7
(2) Livingston/Van’t Hof (USC) def. Huey/Riley (UVa) 8-3
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Meythaler/Devvarman (UVa) 8-5
(1) #10 Somdev Devvarman (UVa) def. Dejan Cvetkovic 6-2, 7-5
(2) Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def. Doug Stewart (UVa) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
(3) #6 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Adam Loucks (USC) 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (5)
(4) #53 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Chong Wang (USC) 6-3, 6-2
(5) Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Garrett Snyder 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-1
(6) #46 Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Whit Livingston (USC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 1, 2, 3*, 5