No. 3 Men's Tennis Cruises to 6-1 Victory Over No. 8 Pepperdine
Feb. 23, 2007
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team defeated No. 8 Pepperdine in business-like fashion, 6-1, tonight at the Boyd Tinsley Courts. The Cavaliers dispatched the defending NCAA Champions in less than three hours, as no singles match went to three sets.
Virginia began the contest by sweeping the doubles matches for the fourth time this season. Somdev Devvarman (Chennai, India) and Treat Huey (Alexandria, Va.) defeated Andre Begemann and Richard Johnson at the No. 1 position, 8-4, to start off the doubles sweep. At the No. 3 position, the team of Marko Miklo (Bratislava, Slovakia) and Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) downed Bassam Beidas and James Lemke, 8-5. Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Dominic Inglot (London, England) capped off the sweep by defeating Omar Altmann and Mahmoud Kamel in a tiebreak, 8-7(4).
In singles action, the Cavaliers rolled to five straight-set victories to clinch the match. Singer led off by defeating Kamel, 6-1, 6-0. No. 4 Devvarman rallied from down a break to win the first set and then cruised against No. 15 Begemann, 6-3, 6-2. Barrick fell to Beidas at the No. 4 position, 6-4, 6-1. Miklo beat Altmann in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 6 position to clinch the victory for the Cavaliers. Huey downed Johnson, 6-4, 6-1, at the No. 2 position and Inglot defeated Lemke at the No. 3 position to round out the singles matches.
The Cavaliers face No. 19 Boise State tomorrow at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Match time is set for 6 p.m.
No. 3 Virginia 6, No. 8 Pepperdine 1
1. No. 4 Somdev Devvarman/Treat Huey (UVA) def. Andre Begemann/Richard Johnson (Pepp.) 8-4
2. Dominic Inglot/Houston Barrick (UVA) def. Omar Altmann/Mahmoud Kamel (Pepp.) 8-7(4)
3. Marko Miklo/Lee Singer (UVA) def. Bassam Beidas/James Lemke (Pepp.) 8-5
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. No. 4 Somdev Devvarman (UVA) def. No.15 Andre Begemann (Pepp.) 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 22 Treat Huey (UVA) def. Richard Johnson (Pepp.) 6-4, 6-1
3. No. 67 Dominic Inglot (UVA) def. James Lemke (Pepp.) 7-6(4), 6-2
4. Bassam Beidas (Pepp.) def. Houston Barrick (UVA) 6-4, 6-1
5. Lee Singer (UVA) def. Mahmoud Kamel (Pepp.) 6-1, 6-0
6. Marko Miklo (UVA) def. Omar Altmann (Pepp.) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,1,4,6,2,3