Dance Team - Tryout Information
Virginia Dance Team
Virginia Dance Team Information
- Dance Team Home
- Dance Team Tryout Information
- Click Here to Download
- Virginia Cheerleading
- Student Tickets
2012-2013 Team Tryouts
Saturday, April 21, 2012
Tryouts for the 2012-13 Virginia Dance Team will be held on Saturday, April 21 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The actual audition will be held on Sunday, April 22 from 1-4 p.m. Both sessions will be held in the men’s basketball practice court in John Paul Jones Arena. All tryout participants should enter through John Paul Jones Arena’s student entrance (southeast entrance). This is a mandatory two-day tryout.
College Pre-Tryout Clinic: Friday, April 20, 2012 – 7:30-9 p.m.
- The clinic is optional, but strongly recommended and open to all interested members.
- Participants are not judged at the pre-audition clinic.
- Tips and pointers as to what the judges will be looking for will be given at the pre-audition clinic.
- Participants will have instruction and review of the advanced technical skills expected at the tryout and those that will be included in the tryout jazz routine.
- The pre-audition clinic registration fee is $20 (cash and checks payable to “UVA Dance Team” are accepted)
- Tryouts are closed to the public (this includes family, friends, and former Virginia Dance Team members)
- Videotapes are not accepted in place of an in-person tryout
- The first round of tryouts will assess basic dance technique. Candidates invited to the final round of tryouts will be announced after lunch on the first day of the mandatory two-day tryout.
- A tryout sideline routine and jazz routine will be taught to the candidates during the tryout clinic. The sideline routine will consist of traditional cheer/dance movements. The jazz routine will consist of traditional jazz technique and may include the following skills: double/triple pirouettes, fouette turns, straight leaps, side leaps, surprise leaps, calypsos, and turning discs.
- The sideline route and jazz routine will be performed in small groups before a panel of judges on the second day of tryouts.
- All candidates will be judged in the areas listed below:
- Appearance*-the judges will be looking for a toned, conditioned physique. Candidates should be aware that as a member of the Virginia Dance Team, one must keep themselves in a fit, athletic physique as part of their duties as a member of the team. Candidates should also pay special attention to their hair and make-up. They should be “game day ready” at all times during the tryout.
- Dance Execution and Ability-the judges will be looking for precision, coordination, timing, and above-average ability.
- Technique-the judges will be looking for proper execution of all techniques, Required skills are triple pirouettes, fouettes, high kicks, straight and side leaps, turning discs, calypsos, illusions, pitches, and ring jumps. Candidates will also be asked to execute a skill of their choice; one that would make them stand out.
- Poise and Projection-the judges will be looking for high-energy and individuals with a good attitude.
Appearance will be considered at all times during the tryout. Dancers must appear “game day ready” throughout the tryout weekend. This includes: make-up, hair styled, attire, etc…Do NOT wear anything during the tryout weekend that features another university’s logo or mascot.
- No jewelry, except for small post earrings, should be worn during tryouts and all tattoos should be covered.
- Attire should include black jazz pants or spandex shorts, sports tops, crop tops, or sports bras. T-shirts are not permitted to be worn. The top should be flattering and can be of any design, fabric, or make. Dancers may not dance barefoot or in only socks. Jazz sneakers and jazz booties are acceptable.
- Hair should be styled to be “game day ready,” preferably down.
- Candidates will be enrolled as a full-time University of Virginia student for the spring 2012 semester and have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- High school seniors and transfer students may tryout if they have been accepted to UVa for the fall 2012 semester.
- All candidates must bring verification of their grade-point average with either a printed scores report from the University of Virginia, a printed scores report from the candidate’s previous university, or a report card.
- The documents listed below may be downloaded by clicking here and must be completed for an individual to be eligible to tryout.
- Medical Identification Form
- Tryout Participation Waiver
- Physician’s Affirmation of Physical Fitness to Participate
- A copy of the front and back of your insurance card.
If you are selected to be a member of the Virginia Dance Team, you will be required to stay for a short meeting (approximately 30 minutes) after the teams are announced on Sunday, April 22. The teams will be announced by a posting showing those who make the team.
Question: I am on the University’s waitlist for admission. May I still tryout?
Answer: Yes, transfers and waitlisted students are encouraged to tryout. Incoming students who are selected but have not been accepted to the University of Virginia will have until June 1, 2012 to be accepted. Coaches and athletic department staff do not have any influence on your acceptance to the University of Virginia.
Question: Is prior dance experience required?
Answer: Prior dance and/or cheer experience is not required, but is strongly encouraged.
For Questions Regarding Tryouts:
Please contact: Coach Meaghan Cabot at firstname.lastname@example.org.