Women's Tennis Edged by Ohio State 4-3
CHARLOTTESVILLE The Virginia women’s tennis team completed its season-opening four-match homestand on Friday, falling to Ohio State 4-3. With the loss, Virginia falls to 1-3 on the season.
The Cavaliers took the early lead by taking the doubles point. After Ohio State (3-0) won at No. 3 doubles, the Cavaliers won the final two matches to take the point. At No. 2 doubles, the team of Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) rallied from down 7-4 to win in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (5). With the opening point on the line, the Cavalier team of Lara Alexander (London, England) and Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) upset No. 33 Christina Keesey and Angela DiPastina 8-6 at the No. 1 position to give UVa a 1-0 lead.
In singles, the Buckeyes evened the match as Cailtin O’Keefe topped Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) at No. 6 singles. Virginia retook the lead, 2-1, as Rales completed a 6-4, 6-1 win over Paloma Escobedo at the No. 1 position. Ohio State came back to take a 3-2 lead as Hubbs defeated Alexander at No. 5 singles and Keesey downed Yahner in three sets at No. 3 singles. The Buckeyes clinched the dual match as Blackmore defeated Pereira in three sets at No. 4 singles. In the final match on the courts, Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) completed a 6-7, 7-5, 7-6 win over DiPastina at No. 2 singles.
The Cavaliers open ACC play at Virginia Tech on Sunday, Feb. 10.
No. 50 Ohio State 4, No. 48 Virginia 3
1. Rales/Alexander (UVa) def. #33 DiPastina/Keesey (OSU) 8-6
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) def. Blackmore/Hubbs (OSU) 9-8 (5)
3. Escobedo/O’Keefe (OSU) def. Stevens/Williams (UVa) 8-3
1. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Angela DiPastina (OSU) 6-7(6), 7-5, 7-6(6)
3. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Maggie Yahner (UVa) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
4. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 6-3, 6-1
6. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Hampton Williams (UVa) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles-3,2,1 Singles-6,1,5,3,4,2