Cavalier Women's Tennis Wins ACC Opener
BLACKSBURG, Va. The Virginia women’s tennis team opened its 2008 ACC schedule Sunday afternoon with a 4-3 win over intrastate rival Virginia Tech at the Burrows/Burleson Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 2-3 overall, 1-0 in the ACC, with the victory while the Hokies fall to 5-2 overall, 0-1 in the conference.
The Cavaliers took the early lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) scored an 8-2 win over Inga Beermann and JJ Larson at No. 2 doubles. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) clinched the opening point for Virginia with their 8-4 win over Jessica Long and Holly Johnson at the No. 3 position. Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Lara Alexander (London, England) completed the sweep with their 8-4 win at No. 1 over Jessica Brouwer and Yasmin Hamza.
In singles, the Cavaliers won three contests in straight sets to clinch the dual match. Yahner defeated Brouwer 6-4, 6-0 at No. 4 singles. Rales followed with her 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles over Beermann. Alexander clinched the win at No. 5 singles as she defeated Abbey Walker 6-2, 6-3. The Hokies took the other three singles matches, two of which went to a third-set superbreaker.
The Cavaliers return home on Saturday, Feb. 16 as they host Harvard. Match time is noon and admission is free.
No. 50 Virginia 4, No. 64 Virginia Tech 3
1. Rales/Alexander (UVa) def. Brouwer/Hamza (VT) 8-4
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) def. Beermann/Larson (VT) 8-2
3. Stevens/Williams (UVa) def. Long/Johnson (VT) 8-4
1. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Inga Beermann (VT) 7-5, 6-3
2. Yasmin Hamza (VT) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-4, 7-6
3. Jessica Long (VT) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 5-7, 6-1, 10-3
4. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. Jessica Brouwer (VT) 6-4, 6-0
5. Lara Alexander (UVa) def. Abbey Walker (VT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Holly Johnson (VT) def. Hampton Williams (UVa) 6-0, 3-6, 10-8