Cavaliers' Upset Bid of Tennessee Falls Short
CHARLOTTESVILLE The Virginia women’s tennis team had its four match winning streak snapped Sunday afternoon with a 4-3 loss to No. 23 Tennessee at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers’ upset bid fell short as they fall to 5-4 on the season.
The Lady Volunteers (6-2) won the doubles point, which proved to be crucial. Virginia opened strong by getting an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles where Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) topped Rosiana Alda and Ghizela Schutte. However, Tennessee won at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions to take the opening point.
In singles, Tennessee extended its lead to 2-0 with a win at No. 6 singles. Virginia rallied with three straight-set wins to take a 3-2 lead. Pereira cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win over Samantha Orlin at No. 3 singles. Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) upset No. 66 Caitlin Whoriskey 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 1 position. Yahner also recorded a ranked win, topping No. 90 Zsofia Zubor 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4 singles. After Tennessee won at No. 5 singles to even the match, the dual match came down to the No. 2 singles match. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) won the first set over Schutte in a tiebreaker. She led 3-0 in the second set when she began to suffer from leg cramps. Throughout the remainder of the match, Stevens battled through the cramps but Schutte rallied to win the second set 6-4 and took the third set 6-3 to clinch the match for Tennessee.
The Cavaliers return to action on March 8 as they visit Wake Forest.
No. 23 Tennessee 4, No. 53 Virginia 3
1. #2 Whoriskey/Zubor (UT) def. Rales/Alexander (UVa) 8-4
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) def. Alda/Schutte (UT) 8-4
3. Vogel/Meredith (UT) def. Stevens/Williams (UVa) 8-6
1. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. #66 Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) 6-4, 6-1
2. Ghizela Schutte (UT) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
3. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Samantha Orlin (UT) 6-0, 6-2
4. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. #90 Zsofia Zubor (UT) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jennifer Meredith (UT) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 6-2, 6-3
6. Connor Vogel (UT) def. Cathy Nimitz (UVa) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles: 2,3,1 Singles: 6,3,1,4,5,2
Records: Virginia (5-4), Tennessee (6-2)