Virginia Women's Tennis Defeats Boston College 5-2
WEYMOUTH, Mass. The Virginia women’s tennis team improved to 5-2 in the ACC with a 5-2 victory over No. 69 Boston College Sunday afternoon. The victory also improves the Cavaliers’ overall record at 9-8 this season.
Virginia fell behind early by losing the doubles point. Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) scored an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles against Alina Sullivan and Katharine Attwell but the Eagles won at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to take the opening point.
The Cavaliers rallied in the singles, taking five of the six matches. Stevens evened the match with her win over Dasha Cherkasov at No. 2 singles, winning the first set 6-2 before Cherkasov retired. Virginia clinched the win as they won three other matches in straight sets. Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) defeated Lauren Cash 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3 singles, Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) topped Attwell 6-3, 6-0 at No. 4 singles and Lara Alexander (London, England) downed Sullivan 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5 singles. Cathy Nimitz (Glen Allen, Va.) closed out the match with her 4-6, 6-3, 10-6 win over Alison Wagner at No. 6 singles.
The Cavaliers return to action next weekend as they visit Georgia Tech and Clemson.
No. 38 Virginia 5, No. 69 Boston College 2
1. Cash/Cherkasov (BC) def. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) 8-5
2. Rales/Stevens (UVa) def. Sullivan/Attwell (BC) 8-2
3. Krasnopolsky/Nafarrete (BC) def. Alexander/Williams (UVa) 8-6
1. Lana Krasnopolsky (BC) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 6-2, 7-5
2. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Dasha Cherkasov (BC) 6-2, ret.
3. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Lauren Cash (BC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. Katharine Attwell (BC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lara Alexander (UVa) def. Alina Sullivan (BC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Cathy Nimitz (UVa) def. Alison Wagner (BC) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6