Cavalier Women's Tennis Suffers Loss to Duke in Finale
CHARLOTTESVILLE The Virginia women’s tennis team concluded its regular season schedule with a 7-0 loss to No. 9 Duke Sunday at the Snyder Tennis Center. With the loss, Virginia falls to 9-12 overall and 5-6 in the ACC.
For the second consecutive match, the Cavaliers scored an upset at No. 1 doubles. Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) and Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.), a day after topping the No. 3 ranked team from North Carolina, upset No. 5 Melissa Mang and Amanda Granson 8-4 at the No. 1 position. Duke won the other two matches to take the doubles point.
In singles, the Blue Devils won all six matches in straight sets.
The Cavaliers will travel to Altamonte Springs, Fla. next week for the ACC Tournament. Virginia will open play with a first round match on Thursday.
No. 9 Duke 7, No. 48 Virginia 0
1. Pereira/Yahner (UVa) def. #5 Mang/Granson (Duke) 8-4
2. Iyer/Robinson (Duke) def. Rales/Stevens (UVa) 8-5
3. Nze/Zsilinszka (Duke) def. Alexander/Williams (UVa) 8-3
1. Tara Iyer (Duke) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 6-2, 6-4
2. #15 Ellah Nze (Duke) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-3, 6-2
3. #17 Reka Zsilinszka (Duke) def. Maggie Yahner (UVa) 6-1, 7-5
4. Melissa Mang (Duke) def. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) 6-1, 6-2
5. Amanda Granson (Duke) def. Lara Alexander (UVa) 6-4, 6-2
6. #116 Jessi Robinson (Duke) def. Hampton Williams (UVa) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: Doubles- 3,1,2 Singles- 2,4,6,5,1,3
Records: Virginia (9-12, 5-6 ACC), Duke (16-3, 9-2 ACC)