Virginia Tops William & Mary 7-0 in Season Opener
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. The No. 5 Virginia men’s tennis team opened the 2009 season Tuesday night with a 7-0 win over No. 64 William & Mary at the McCormick-Nagelsen Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 1-0 on the season while handing the Tribe (4-1) its first loss of the season.
Virginia opened the match by sweeping the doubles contests. At the No. 1 position, the third-ranked Cavalier duo of Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) and Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) dispatched of No. 52 Keziel Juneau and Sebestien Vidal 8-2. Dominic Inglot (London, England) and Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.), ranked No. 27 nationally, defeated Dominic Pagon and Marwan Ramadan 9-8 at No. 2 doubles. Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) completed the sweep with their 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles over Ilja Orre and Richard Wardell.
The Cavaliers won all six singles matches, winning five in straight sets. No. 11 Shabaz topped Ramadan 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles and No. 24 Singh defeated Vidal 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. Barrick, ranked No. 68, topped Pagon 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 singles and No. 109 Singer downed Wardell 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 position. Courtney, a freshman playing in his first career dual match, picked up a win at No. 6 singles by topping Orre 6-1, 6-1. Inglot completed the sweep for Virginia with his 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win over Juneau at the top spot.
“I was pleased with our performance and glad to get a win in the season opener,” said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. “We are excited to get home this weekend and are looking forward to playing an excellent Illinois team on Friday. We hope to see all of our great fans, the ones that won the ITA Attendance Challenge last year, out there supporting us again.”
Virginia opens its 2009 home schedule on Friday as it hosts No. 15 Illinois at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Match time is 6 p.m. and admission is free.
No. 5 Virginia 7, No. 64 William & Mary 0
1. #3 Singh/Barrick (UVa) def. #52 Juneau/Vidal (W&M) 8-2
2. #27 Inglot/Shabaz (UVa) def. Pagon/Ramadan (W&M) 9-8
3. Singer/Courtney (UVa) def. Orre/Wardell (W&M) 8-5
1. #43 Dominic Inglot (UVa) def. Keziel Juneau (W&M) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. #11 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Marwan Ramadan (W&M) 6-1, 6-3
3. #24 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. Sebastien Vidal (W&M) 6-3, 6-2
4. #68 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Dominic Pagon (W&M) 6-3, 6-3
5. #109 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Richard Wardell (W&M) 6-4, 6-1
6. #108 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Ilja Orre (W&M) 6-1, 6-1