Virginia To Host Purdue In Third Annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Virginia women’s basketball team will host Purdue on Thursday, Dec. 3, at John Paul Jones Arena in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, the conferences announced Tuesday.
The Big Ten/ACC Women’s Basketball Challenge matches 11 teams from each conference in head-to-head competition traditionally on the first Wednesday, Thursday and Friday after Thanksgiving, following the men’s basketball Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
Virginia finished the 2008-09 season with a 24-10 overall record and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Purdue, meanwhile, finished the year with a 25-11 overall record and advanced to the Elite Eight before falling to Oklahoma, 74-68. Virginia and Purdue have never met in women’s basketball action.
Last year, the ACC won seven of the 11 Big Ten/ACC Challenge games, while the inaugural Challenge in 2007 saw the ACC collect eight victories.
The Big Ten and ACC offices determine the 11-game schedule each season, and match-ups may repeat from year-to-year in efforts to coordinate similar opponents and reach competitive equity. Each of the Big Ten’s 11 institutions will participate, while the ACC will select 11 teams from its 12-team membership.
In addition, the official title of the Challenge will rotate each year. The 2009 event will be referred to as the Big Ten/ACC Women’s Basketball Challenge and will continue to mirror the official title of the two conferences’ challenge agreement for men’s basketball.
Game times, as well as television and broadband coverage, will be announced at a later date. For more information about the Big Ten/ACC Women’s Basketball Challenge, including a complete schedule, log on to www.TheACC.com.
2009 CHALLENGE SCHEDULE
Wednesday, Dec. 2
Georgia Tech at Penn State
Illinois at Wake Forest
Boston College at Iowa
Thursday, Dec. 3
Michigan at Virginia Tech
Clemson at Northwestern
Minnesota at Maryland
North Carolina at Michigan State
Ohio State at Duke
Purdue at Virginia
Florida State at Indiana
Wisconsin at NC State
FUTURE CHALLENGE NAMES & DATES
2010: ACC/Big Ten Challenge – Dec. 1, 2, 3
• Michigan leads Virginia Tech, 1-0 (Last Meeting: Michigan, 79-63, 11-29-96)
• Clemson and Northwestern, Series Tied, 1-1 (Last Meeting: 2008 Big Ten/ACC Challenge: Clemson, 78-75 OT, 12-4-08)
• Maryland leads Minnesota, 1-0 (Last Meeting: Maryland, 86-74, 12-22-80)
• North Carolina leads Michigan State, 3-0 (Last Meeting: North Carolina, 82-65, 12-19-99)
• Florida State leads Indiana, 3-1 (Last Meeting: 2007 Big Ten/ACC Challenge: Florida State, 85-78, 11-30-07)
• Wisconsin Leads NC State, 1-0 (Last Meeting: Wisconsin, 65-48, 12-8-01)
• Never met: Georgia Tech at Penn State; Illinois at Wake Forest; Boston College at Iowa; Ohio State at Duke; Purdue at Virginia.