Carl Smith Center
Carl Smith Center
Scott Stadium – Facility Policies
Entering its 76th season as the home for Virginia football, the Carl Smith Center, home of David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium, with its unique architectural design, scenic setting on the University’s Grounds and exceptional sight lines, is one of the nation’s finest college football settings.
Opened in 1931, Scott Stadium might be one of the oldest campus college football stadiums in the nation, but you could never tell from its appearance. Numerous upgrades and expansions over the decade fine it a modern home for the Cavaliers and their fans. S cott Stadium was the gift of Frederic William Scott and Elisabeth Strother Scott, and was dedicated to the memory of his parents, Frederic Robert Scott and Frances Branch Scott.
Virginia played its dedication game at Scott Stadium on Oct. 15, 1931 against the Virginia Military Institute before a then-capacity crowd of 22,000. Prior to that season, the Cavaliers staged their home games at the University’s Lambeth Field.
Under current head coach Al Groh, Scott Stadium has provided Virginia’s team a decided advantage. In his seven seasons at Virginia, his teams are 34-10 at home, including seven victories against ranked opponents. Over the past 21 seasons UVa’s home record stands at 99-28.
Virginia has played 394 games in the historic venue. When Miami visits Scott Stadium on Nov. 1 it will mark the 400th game in the facility. UVa’s all-time record at Scott Stadium stands at 228-154-12. Here are some of the significant changes and moments that have happened at Scott Stadium over the last 40 years:
- 1974 New aluminum seating is installed along with an Astroturf playing surface. The facility’s brickwork is restored.
- 1980 The stadium’s upper decks open adding 12,000 additional seats. A new press boxnamed in memory of longtime UVa athletic director Captain Norton Pritchettand a President’s box are also constructed.
- Oct. 9, 1982 Using portable lights, UVa plays its first night game at Scott Stadium against defending national champion Clemson.
- 1983 A permanent lighting system is installed before the start of the season.
- 1985 Bryant Hall, a dining and locker room facility located in the south end zone of the stadium opens. The building is named in honor of J.C. Herbert Bryant, a 1932 Virginia graduate and one of the principal benefactors of the structure.
- Nov. 3, 1990 A stadium-record crowd of 49,700 attends at No. 1 Virginia faces No. 16 Georgia Tech on a nationally televised game. The Yellow Jackets win 41-38.
- Sept. 2, 1995 Virginia dedicates its new natural grass playing field David A. Harrison III Field at the first home game of the season against William & Mary. The field is named after David A. Harrison III of Hopewell, Va., who pledged $5 million to support the UVa football program. Harrison Field replaces artificial turf which was first installed at Scott Stadium in 1974.
- Nov. 2, 1995Virginia hosts Florida State in the first-ever Thursday night game in Charlottesville. Playing in front of a sell-out crowd and a national television audience, the Cavaliers defeat the second-ranked Seminoles 33-28. Florida State becomes the highest-ranked team to ever fall to the Cavaliers.
- June 14, 1997 Representing the largest single monetary gift in school history at that time, UVa alumnus and former Cavalier football player Carl W. Smith pledges $25 million to his alma mater. The University announces that the bulk of Smith’s gift$23 millionwill be used toward funding the expansion and enhancement of Scott Stadium, ultimately increasing its seating capacity to 61,500 by the year 2000.
- 1998 Located in the north end of the stadium, the Hoo Vision videoboard debuts for the Sept. 12 Maryland game. In conjunction with this project, the north end hillside seating area is moved 30 feet closer to the playing field.
- 1999 The lower level of the south bowl, including new locker rooms, is finished before UVa’s 1999 home opener vs. Wake Forest on Sept. 18.
- 2000 The Carl Smith Center, home of David A. Harrison III Field, is dedicated during the 2000 season opener against Brigham Young on Sept. 2. The final phase of the stadium renovation project includes the completion of the Virginia Football Hall of Fame in the new Bryant Hall at the Carl Smith Center.
- 2001 A record-setting crowd of 61,625 attends the home game vs. Virginia Tech. It was the largest attendance for a football game in Virginia state history at the time.
- 2003 Video display panels, called “ribbon boards”, are installed below the upper decks on the east and west sides of the stadium.
- 2005 The legendary rock band The Rolling Stones perform before a sold out crowd on Oct. 6.
Directions to JPJ Arena
From the East/West: Take I-64 to exit 118B (Culpeper-Charlottesville). Take third exit (Leonard Sandridge Road). Continue straight and after the second signal (Copeley Road), the John Paul Jones Arena will be on your left.
From the North: Take Route 29 south into Charlottesville (Emmet Street). Continue on 29 South Business (Emmet Street) past the exit for the 29/250 bypass. Turn right on Massie Road and the John Paul Jones Arena will be on the right.
From the South: Take Route 29 to the Leonard Sandridge Road exit. Continue straight and after the second signal (Copeley Road), the John Paul Jones Arena will be on your left.
- John Paul Jones Arena
- Design of John Paul Jones Arena
- Student-Athlete Experience
- Game day experience at John Paul Jones Arena
- 2009 Football Parking Map
- Grounds Map
- Scott Stadium Map
- Traffic Flow Map
- Game Day Central | Football Fan Page
- Game Day Parking
- Scott Stadium A-Z | Tailgating
- Ticket Scan Information
- Virginia Football Homepage | Virginia Football Schedule
- Football Tickets | Ticket Office
Built in stages from 1901-1913, Lambeth Field served as the Cavaliers’ home until the construction of Scott Stadium in 1931. Named for Dr. William A. Lambeth, often called “the father of athletics” at UVa, Lambeth Field was also the home of the university’s successful track and baseball teams until the early 1970s.
Completion of the stadium in 1913 provided grandstand seating for 8000 people at a cost of $35,000. Student season tickets cost $7.50 that season, while alumni tickets were $9.50. The dedication game against Vanderbilt in November 1913 saw the Cavaliers wallop the Commodores 34-0 in a game called “the football classic of the South.”