Men's Tennis Blanks W&M 15-0 in Season Opener
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 2 Virginia men’s tennis team opened its 2010 dual match season with a 15-0 victory over No. 75 William & Mary Monday night at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (1-0) won their 49th consecutive home match while handing the Tribe (4-1) their first loss of the year.
The match used an alternative scoring method agreed upon by both teams. The match consisted of five doubles matches and 10 singles matches, all worth one point for a total of 15 points available.
Play began with the No. 7-10 singles matches. Philippe Oudshoorn, Santiago Villegas and Dino Dell’Orto all won their Cavalier dual match debuts and Steven Eelkman Rooda also added a victory for Virginia, who jumped out to a 4-0 lead.
The Cavaliers followed by sweeping all five doubles matches to take a 9-0 lead in the dual match. The duo of Sanam Singh and Michael Shabaz topped the No. 26 ranked Tribe pair of Keziel Juneau and Sebastien Vidal 9-7 at the No. 1 position. The teams of Houston Barrick/Jarmere Jenkins, Drew Courtney/Lee Singer, Oudshoorn/Rooda and Julen Uriguen/Villegas also won for Virginia.
Virginia swept the No. 1 through No. 6 singles matches to complete the 15-0 victory. Shabaz, Jenkins, Courtney, Barrick and Singer won to make it 14-0 before Singh rallied to complete the sweep. Singh trailed Juneau 7-5, 5-4 and fought off four match points against him before rallying for a 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-1 win.
“This was a good start to the season,” said Virginia head coach Brian Boland. “We have had a good couple of weeks of practice and it was nice to be able to get the season started. This format was a great opportunity to let a lot of players get competitive matches in, and that is so important this time of the season. We appreciate William & Mary for agreeing to play the match with this format. They have a great team and it proved to be a great dual match.”
The Cavaliers return to action this weekend as they visit Illinois and Notre Dame.
No. 2 Virginia 15, No. 75 William & Mary 0
1. Singh/Shabaz (UVa) def. #26 Juneau/Vidal (W&M) 9-7
2. Jenkins/Barrick (UVa) def. Andersson/Whiteford (W&M) 8-0
3. #17 Courtney/Singer (UVa) def. Orre/Vodislab (W&M) 8-3
4. Rooda/Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Mihalov/Pandit (W&M) 8-5
5. Uriguen/Villegas (UVa) def. Braig/Wardell (W&M) 8-6
1. #12 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. #122 Keziel Juneau (W&M) 5-7, 7-6(5), 6-1
2. #3 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Anton Andersson (W&M) 6-2, 6-3
3. #16 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Sebastien Vidal (W&M) 5-2 ret.
4. #31 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Jamie Whiteford (W&M) 6-1, 6-4
5. #58 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Adrian Vodislav (W&M) 6-0, 6-1
6. #28 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Richard Wardell (W&M) 6-0, 6-3
7. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Ilja Orre (W&M) 7-6(7), 5-7, 10-4
8. #80 Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) def. Daniel Mihalov (W&M) 6-4, 6-0
9. Santiago Villegas (UVa) def. Varun Pandit (W&M) 6-3, 6-0
10. Dino Dell’Orto (UVa) def. Jacob Braig (W&M) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: