Women's Tennis Tops No. 15 Fresno State 5-2
FRESNO, Calif. – The No. 26 Virginia women’s tennis team rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 5-2 win over No. 15 Fresno State Sunday in the consolation match of the Fresno ITA Regional. The fifteenth-ranked Bulldogs are the highest ranked opponent the Cavaliers have defeated this season.
Virginia (3-1) got off to a strong start, winning the doubles point, as they have done in every match this season. After the Bulldogs won at No. 1 doubles, Neela Vaez (Perrysburg, Ohio) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) scored an 8-3 win over Julia Gragera-Cano and Bianca Modoc at No. 3 doubles. With the opening point on the line, Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) topped Laura Pola and Olga Kirpicheva 8-4 at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, Fresno State drew even at 1-1 as Renata Kucerkova defeated Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) at No. 2 singles. Virginia retook the lead, 2-1, as Tomljanovic downed Modoc 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 5 position. Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) made the score 3-1 with her 6-7(8), 6-0, 6-0 win over Gragera-Cano at No. 6 singles. The match was clinched as No. 4 singles where Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) topped Pola 6-3, 5-7, 6-0. Fourth-ranked Anastasia Petukhova edged No. 72 Hardenbergh in three sets at No. 1 singles to make the score 4-2, before Vierra completed the match with her three-set win over Kirpicheva at No. 3 singles.
The Cavaliers return home Friday to host Winthrop at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Match time is set for 3 p.m. and admission is free.
No. 26 Virginia 5, No. 15 Fresno State 2
1. #1 Petukhova/Kucerkova (FS) def. Fraser/Stevens (UVa) 8-3
2. Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Pola/Kirpicheva (FS) 8-4
3. Vaez/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Gragera-Cano/Modoc (FS) 8-3
1. #4 Anastasia Petukkhova (FS) def. #72 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
2. Renata Kucerkova (FS) def. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-2, 6-1
3. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Laura Pola (FS) 6-3, 5-7, 6-0
5. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 6-3, 6-3
6. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Julia Gragera-Cano (FS) 6-7(8), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: