Diamond Details: Eileen Schmidt
Members of the Virginia softball team – both student-athletes and coaches – will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team’s season-opener this Saturday at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Up next is head coach Eileen Schmidt, now in her third season at the helm of the Cavalier program.
1. It’s true, I have man hands.
2. When I was 8, I had a fishing lure get stuck in my eyelid.
3. Occasionally, when the time is right, I serenade my staff in the office. I am especially adept at anything by Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, or Boy Bands. One time I started a Marilyn Manson song, but I think it scared them so I stopped.
4. Two of my favorite FAFA moments: his Neil Diamond version of the classic hit, “Single Ladies” on a quiet airplane and his impression of the Carlton Dance.
5. Me snowboarding = Trainwreck … stop STARING!
6. I was recruited to UVA as a pitcher and I left a catcher. Simple transition.
7. When recruiting at Rising Stars, Heidi and I attempted to speak the entire day in song lyrics. For those of you with us, you know it was funny!
8. The summer after my first year I asked my Dad to find me a day job in the sun. He got me a job on a produce farm where I had to be at work everyday before 7 am and did not leave until it was time to go play for my summer team. Actually, it was a lot of fun and I worked there every summer after.
9. I love to read. I started a book club but no one joined, so it disbanded because the discussions were kind of boring.
10. I have a half golden retriever/half yellow lab named Harris Ray Wilson III. Raydog’s namesake is the greatest coach ever, Coach Black at Northwestern State.
11. Current UVA Assistant Strength Coach, Bill Miller, was actually my strength coach when I went to Virginia. Sooooooo many great memories Bill! Remember the time you made us run the same times as the No. 1 Women’s Basketball Team? Outside in the rain? And it was 40 degrees?
12. I am addicted to sporcle.
13. If I don’t work out I am completely a wench. Yes ladies, worse than normal. BUT, a nap can be substituted if I don’t get the workout in and all is right with the world.
14. I have a leopard print slanket that Coach Freitager gave me when I was deathly ill. It is now my travel slanket and also flame retardant.
15. I am affectionately called “Tim the Toolman” because of my uncanny ability to fix things around the house.
16. If I don’t get my daily hour long Ed Nordenschild (head strength coach) psychology session, I feel slightly off kilter. Yes, I even have my own chair in his office. Ok , it’s a cooler but I use it as a chair.
17. I hate fruit…bring on veggies!
18. I am fascinated by the mechanical pencil.
19. March Madness is the greatest time of year. It should be a month long holiday complete with days off when games are being played.
20. For the past four years I have gone to Destin, Fla., with my friends over Memorial Day. It’s about time we have to move the trip back and they sit at a field and watch us in the NCAA Tournament!!!!!