Diamond Details: Sarah Tacke
Members of the Virginia softball team – both student-athletes and coaches – will be revealing 20 random facts about themselves to VirginiaSports.com each weekday leading up to the team’s season-opener this Saturday at the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. Last but not least is fifth-year senior Sarah Tacke, a native of Merced, Calif.
1. I played baseball until I was about 10 or 11.
2. Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild is one of my favorites.
3. I have secretly been watching The Jersey Shore on MTV.
4. I have never cried during a movie.
5. I love hiking and the outdoors in general, but have never been camping.
6. I’ve had four knee surgeries.
7. My brother and I coincidentally chose to come to UVa at the same time. We’re from California.
8. I’ve watched the Planet Earth series more times than one person should.
9. My grandma knit hats for our whole team. They are awesome. I now have a matching scarf and sweater.
10. I once lost a fly ball in the sun and it hit me in the chest during practice; I meant to whisper curses at the sun,
but it came out loud enough for the whole field to hear.
11. I’m in the process of mastering all of my family’s food traditions. Some of them are Tacke sausage, caramels, stuffed cabbage, chicken paprikas, pumpkin rolls, and a Hungarian turkey stuffing. Top secret recipes of course.
12. Probably about half of my wardrobe is green.
13. I used to have a horse named Ned who could drink a soda from the can.
14. I step into the batter’s box the same way every time.
15. My best dance move is the Tacke Stomp.
16. I love Mexican food.
17. Yosemite National Park might be my favorite place.
18. I think outfielders have the most fun on the field.
19. Very few people actually call me Sarah, especially in the softball world.
20. I currently hold the UVa softball record for most times hit by a pitch. What a record.