Academic Affairs - Faculty
- Life Skills
- UVa Honor Committee
- University Career Services
Contact Athletic Academic Affairs Office
- If you have a question regarding travel dates for competition, a concern about a student-athlete(s) in your course, or would like to submit a comment to the Athletic Academic Affairs Office, please click here, or you may contact the Athletic Academic Affairs Office directly at 434-982-5300.
Online Progress Reports
- At various points throughout each semester, the Athletic Academic Affairs office, sends faculty members a request to submit progress reports on the performance of student-athletes enrolled in the courses they are teaching. The faculty members are asked to submit this feedback through an online reporting forum. If you are a faculty member and would like to submit an online report, please click here.
- As a faculty member, you will have 24/7 access to this reporting forum. Please feel free to send as many updates as you wish. If you would like to speak directly to the Athletic Academic Affairs office please click here.
- Click here for eligibility rules.
- Student-athletes must be enrolled full-time, meaning they must, carry a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester to be eligible to practice or compete with their team. If a student-athlete drops below 12 hours he/she will immediately be ineligible to practice or compete, unless otherwise approved by the Athletic Department and NCAA. Graduating seniors who need fewer than 12 credits hours to complete degree requirements may receive an exception to enroll in fewer than 12 credit hours, but must first be approved by the Athletic Department and their academic dean.
NCAA Rules Regarding Class Absences
- NCAA (bylaw 188.8.131.52.1) states that no class time shall be missed for practice activities except when a team is traveling to an away from home contest and the practice is in conjunction with the contest. The exception to this rule is at a home conference or NCAA Championship: student-athletes from the team representing the host institution shall be permitted to miss class time to attend practice activities conducted the day before the competition.
- The Athletic Department makes every effort to schedule a minimal amount of travel for competitions that affect student-athletes’ class time. Student-athletes are given official travel letters from the Athletic Department to notify their professors of their travel schedules. The Athletic Department encourages faculty to work with student-athletes in making up an assignment or exam missed while they are representing the University. Please feel free to contact the Athletic Academic Affairs Office with any questions.
- Click here to view a sample travel letter.
- The NCAA (bylaw 16.02.3) states that an extra benefit is any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution’s athletics department to provide a student-athlete or the student-athletes relative or friend a benefit not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation. Receipt of a benefit by student-athletes or their relatives or friends is not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is demonstrated that the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body determined on a basis unrelated to athletic ability.
- If you have a question about an extra benefit you may contact the University of Virginia’s Compliance Office at 434-982-5018.
Student-Athlete Association (STAT)
- Rachel Most is the academic dean for student-athletes in the College of Arts and Sciences. She oversees and coordinates the advising for CLAS student-athletes. Dean Most collaborates with Athletic Academic Affairs Office on issues pertaining to the academic success of student-athletes.
Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR)
- Carolyn Callahan has been designated by the university to serve as a liaison between the institution and the athletics department, and also as a representative of the institution in the Atlantic Coast Conference and National Collegiate Athletic Association.