No. 1 Virginia Downs Baylor and Gardner-Webb
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team secured its eighth consecutive 20-win season as it swept a doubleheader Sunday at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (20-1, 3-0 ACC) topped No. 8 Baylor 5-2 in the first match before downing Gardner-Webb 9-2 in the nightcap.
Virginia opened the day by topping the Bears (13-3), their fifth top-10 win of the season. The Cavaliers opened the match by sweeping the three doubles contests for a 1-0 lead. Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) gave UVa the early advantage with an 8-3 win over Julian Bley and Atilla Bucko at No. 3. No. 17 Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) won a battle of nationally ranked teams at No. 1, downing No. 33 Maros Horny and Jordan Rux. Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) and Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) completed the sweep with a tiebreaker win over Denes Lukacs and Roberto Maytin at No. 2.
In singles, the Cavaliers extended their lead to 2-0 as No. 4 ranked Shabaz cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 win over No. 16 Lukacs at the top position. The Bears cut the lead in half as Maytin defeated Barrick 6-3, 6-4 at No. 5. Singh gave Virginia a 3-1 lead with his 6-3, 6-2 win over Rux at the No. 2 position. Courtney clinched the victory with his 6-4, 6-4 win over Dominik Mueller at No. 4. Singer added a 6-3, 6-4 win over Bley at No. 6 before Baylor won the final match on the courts as Bucko upset Jenkins at No. 3 in a third-set tiebreaker.
In the second match of the doubleheader, Virginia topped Gardner-Webb (6-9) 9-2 in a match using an alternative scoring system. The teams played four doubles and seven singles matches, all worth one point each.
The Cavaliers took a 3-1 lead after doubles, winning at the top three positions. Barrick and Singh won at No. 1, Philippe Oudshoorn (Apeldoorn, The Netherlands) and Steven Eelkman Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) won at No. 2, and the team of Santiago Villegas (Bogota, Colombia) and Dino Dell’Orto (Hong Kong, China) won at No. 3.
In singles, Virginia won six of the seven matches against the Runnin’ Bulldogs. Rooda won at No. 2, Villegas won at No. 3, Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) won at No. 4, Milo Johnson (Tulsa, Okla.) won at No. 5, Dell’Orto won at No. 6 and Brian Fang (Hacienda Heights, Calif.) won at No. 7.
The Cavaliers continue their homestand Wednesday as they host VCU and Richmond in a doubleheader at the Snyder Tennis Center. Match time for the VCU match is 3 p.m., with the Richmond match to follow at 6 p.m.
No. 1 Virginia 5, No. 8 Baylor 2
1. #17 ShabazCourtney (UVa) def. #33 Horny/Rux (BU) 8-5
2. #19 Barrick/Singh (UVa) def. Lukacs/Maytin (BU) 8-7(4)
3. #41 Jenkins/Singer (UVa) def. Bley/Bucko (BU) 8-3
1. #4 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. #16 Denes Lukacs (BU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #3 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. #28 Jordan Rux (BU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Atilla Bucko (BU) def. #33 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(4)
4. #53 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Dominik Mueller (BU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Roberto Maytin (BU) def. #87 Houston Barrick (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
6. #68 Lee Singer (UVa) def. Julian Bley (BU) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish:
No. 1 Virginia 9, Gardner-Webb 2
1. #19 Barrick/Singh (UVa) def. Altmayer/Slesarev (GW) 8-6
2. Oudshoorn/Rooda (UVa) def. Tardif/Veeder (GW) 8-5
3. Villegas/Dell’Orto (UVa) def. Parker/Piftor (GW) 8-4
4. Herrock/Knutsson-Sundblad (GW) def. Uriguen/Johnson (UVa) 8-6
1. Evgeny Slesarev (GW) def. #102 Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
2. #113 Steven Eelkman Rooda (UVa) def. Andrew Veeder (GW) 6-1, 7-5
3. Santiago Villegas (UVa) def. Roman Piftor (GW) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
4. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Rafael Altmayer (GW) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
5. Milo Johnson (UVa) def. Jeremie Tardif (GW) 6-4, 6-3
6. Dino Dell’Orto (UVa) def. Adam Knutsson-Sundblad (GW) 7-6(4), 6-4
7. Brian Fang (UVa) def. Matthew Parker (GW) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: