Women's Tennis Falls at No. 19 Florida State 5-2
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The No. 30 Virginia women’s tennis team suffered its first ACC loss of the season on Friday, falling 5-2 to No. 19 Florida State at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The Cavaliers fall to 10-4 overall, 3-1 in the ACC with the loss, while the Seminoles improve to 7-7 (1-2 ACC).
The Seminoles took an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. None of the three matches were ever in doubt, as Florida State scored 8-1 wins at No. 1 and No. 3 and the Cavalier duo of Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) winning 8-0 at the No. 2 position.
The Cavaliers got off to a quick start in singles, winning five of the six first sets. Virginia tied the score at 1-1 as Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) topped Jessica Sucupira 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5. Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) gave Virginia a 2-1 lead by upsetting No. 44 ranked Noemie Scharle 6-3 6-4 at No. 4 singles. However the Seminoles rallied to win the other four singles matches to record the 5-2 win.
“Although we didn’t ultimately get the team win, many positive things happened today,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “The team showed great composure and fight after losing a very up and down doubles point, coming out and winning five first sets. That was tough to sustain, but it was definitely our best level of the year throughout the first part of singles. We will focus on that, and the positive aspects of our play and move forward. This team knows that some great wins and success are ahead as we continue to compete at this level.”
Virginia concludes its month of March road trip on Sunday as it visits Miami.
No. 19 Florida State 5, No. 30 Virginia 2
1. McCreless/Segarelli (FSU) def. #40 Fraser/Stevens (UVa) 8-1
2. #50 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Sucupira/Suess (FSU) 8-0
3. Sargeant/Rybakova (FSU) def. Fuccillo/Tomljanovic (UVa) 8-1
1. #27 Lauren McCreless (FSU) def. #41 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-3, 7-6(7)
3. #104 Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Erin Vierra (UVa) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. #44 Noemie Scharle (FSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Jessica Sucupira (FSU) 6-1 6-1
6. Federica Suess (FSU) def. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: