Women's Tennis Scores 5-2 Win at Wake Forest
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The No. 40 Virginia women’s tennis team concluded the road portion of its regular season schedule Sunday with a 5-2 win at No. 50 Wake Forest at the Leighton Tennis Courts. The Cavaliers improved to 12-7 overall and 5-4 in the ACC, while the Demon Deacons fell to 8-12 (2-6 ACC).
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. No. 65 ranked Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) defeated No. 45 Kathryn Talbert and Sasha Kulikova 8-5 at the top position, while Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) defeated Emilee Malvehy and Aileen Davis 8-4 at No. 2.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead as Stevens defeated Katarina Reveche 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5 singles. After Wake Forest had cut the lead in half, 2-1, with at win at No. 2, Virginia clinched the win as Vierra defeated Talbert 6-3, 6-3 at No. 3 and Tomljanovic downed Malvehy 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4. Katie Gater (Dunblane, Scotland) later added a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Ryann Cutillo.
“These past four matches have been very valuable for our team,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “We have learned that we are capable of playing with the best teams in the country – very evenly as a team and at each individual position. We have also seen what attending to little details and executibg important fundamentals will do for the overall team result. Our compsure and focus has improved dramatically. We feel good about these steps and look forward to the weekend ahead where we have two more great opportunities to perform at our highest level yet. I am proud of the team and their willingness to fight hard for long stretches. We are peaking at a great time.”
The Cavaliers return home next weekend to conclude the regular season. They host Georgia Tech on Saturday and Clemson on Sunday. Both matches are at noon.
No. 40 Virginia 5, No. 50 Wake Forest 2
1. #65 Stevens/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. #45 Talbert/Kulikova (WF) 8-5
2. #44 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Malvehy/Davis (WF) 8-4
3. Fuccillo/Fraser (UVa) def. Pavelec/Reveche (WF) 5-6 ret.
1. #64 Martina Pavelec (WF) def. #42 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 5-7, 7-6, 10-8
2. Sasha Kulikova (WF) def. Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
3. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Kathryn Talbert (WF) 6-3, 6-3
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Emilee Malvehy (WF) 7-5, 6-4
5. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Katarina Reveche (WF) 6-4, 6-4
6. Katie Gater (UVa) def. Ryann Cutillo (WF) 7-5, 6-1
Order of Finish: