Women's Tennis Edged By No. 8 Clemson 4-3
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 31 Virginia women’s tennis team concluded the regular season on Sunday with a 4-3 loss to No. 8 Clemson at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (13-8, 6-5 ACC) won three singles matches against the Tigers (21-4, 9-2 ACC), but fell just short in their upset attempt.
The Tigers took an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point, which proved to be crucial in the outcome of the match. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) won 8-5 at No. 2 over Nelly Ciolkowski and Caroline Magnusson, but Clemson won at No. 1 and No. 3 to take the opening point.
In singles, Virginia answered with a pair of early wins to take a 2-1 lead. Senior Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.), playing her final home match, closed out her career in Charlottesville in style with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Estefania Balda at No. 5. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) defeated Keri Wong 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2 to give the Cavaliers the lead. Clemson answered with straight set wins at No. 6 and No. 1 to take a 3-2 lead before Ina Hadziselimovic edged Vierra 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 at No. 3 to clinch the win. Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) added a win at No. 4 over Ciolkowski in the final match on the courts.
The Cavaliers will travel to Cary, N.C. this week for the ACC Tournament. The tournament begins Thursday and runs through Sunday at the Cary Tennis Center.
No. 8 Clemson 4, No. 31 Virginia 3
1. #9 Bek/Hadziselimovic (Clem) def. #38 Stevens/Tomljanovic (UVa) 8-2
2. #55 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Ciolkowski/Magnusson (Clem) 8-5
3. Balda/Wong (Clem) def. Gater/Fraser (UVa) 8-6
1. #19 Josipa Bek (Clem) def. #44 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 6-2, 6-4
2. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. #71 Keri Wong (Clem) 6-3, 6-3
3. #102 Ina Hadziselimovic (Clem) def. Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. #89 Nelly Ciolkowski (Clem) 7-5, 5-7, 10-7
5. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Estefania Balda (Clem) 6-1, 6-3
6. Caroline Magnusson (Clem) def. Katie Gater (UVa) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: