Women's Tennis Tops No. 25 Georgia Tech 5-2
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 31 Virginia women’s tennis team tied a school record with its sixth ACC win of the season as it topped No. 25 Georgia Tech 5-2 Saturday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (13-7, 6-4 ACC) also secured their first winning conference record since 2006.
The Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches from the Yellow Jackets (13-9, 4-5 ACC). Katie Gater (Dunblane, Scotland) and Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) scored an 8-5 win at No. 3 over Elizabeth Kilborn and Viet Ha Ngo. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) secured the opening point for UVa with their 8-5 win over Lynn Blau and Hillary Davis at No. 2. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) completed the doubles sweep with an 8-4 win at No. 1 over Irina Falconi and Sasha Krupina.
In singles, the Yellow Jackets drew even, 1-1, as Falconi, the nation’s top-ranked player, defeated Hardenbergh at No. 1. Virginia retook the lead, 2-1, as Fraser defeated Krupina in straight sets at No. 2. At No. 4, Tomljanovic made the score 3-1 with her straight set win over Blau. The final three matches went three sets, with the Cavaliers winning two of them. Stevens clinched the dual match victory with her 6-7(4), 7-6(6), 6-2 win over Kilborn at No. 5 and Gater added a 7-5, 5-7, 6-4 win over Davis at No. 6. In the final match on the courts, Ngo edged Vierra 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 3.
“This was a well deserved win for the team and this program,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “The girls worked very hard today and played with a great level of intensity throughout. It was great to see a high level of energy, focus and execution from the start, along with a strong focus to finish out the match. The team is playing very well and we are excited for more success ahead.”
The Cavaliers conclude the regular season on Sunday as they host No. 8 Clemson. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is noon and admission is free.
No. 31 Virginia 5, No. 25 Georgia Tech 2
1. #38 Stevens/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. #25 Falconi/Krupina (GT) 8-4
2. #55 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Blau/Davis (GT) 8-5
3. Gater/Fraser (UVa) def. Kilborn/Ngo (GT) 8-5
1. #1 Irina Flaconi (GT) def. #44 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 6-0, 6-3
2. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Sasha Krupina (GT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Erin Vierra (UVa) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Lynn Blau (GT) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-7(4), 7-6(6), 6-2
6. Katie Gater (UVa) def. Hillary Davis (GT) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
Order of Finish: