Cavaliers Blow Past Miami 4-0 in ACC Quarterfinals
CARY, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team posted its school record 33rd victory of the season, downing No. 42 Miami 4-0 in an ACC quarterfinal match Friday morning at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (33-1) advance to semifinals where they will meet the Georgia Tech-Virginia Tech winner on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point from the Hurricanes (11-11). Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) topped Carl Sundberg and Ignacio Taboada 8-2 at the No. 3 position before Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) clinched the opening point with their 8-5 win at No. 1 over Christian Blocker and David Simon.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly made the score 2-0 as Shabaz needed less than an hour to cruise past Sundberg 6-1, 6-2 at the top position. Jenkins increased the lead to 3-0 with his 6-3, 6-4 win over Simon at No. 3 singles. Houston Barrick (Brentwood, Tenn.) clinched the victory for Virginia with a 6-3, 7-6(4) win over Keith Crowley at No. 5 singles.
The win was the Cavaliers’ 59th consecutive victory against conference competition, extending their ACC record. The 33rd win of the season eclipsed Virginia’s school record of 32 wins set in 2008 and matched last season. It was also the Cavaliers fifth consecutive 4-0 win in the ACC Tournament, as they haven’t dropped a point in the event since the 2008 semifinals.
“I thought we played pretty well against a very strong Miami team,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We have a lot of respect for Miami and they beat Duke just a week ago. We knew it was going to be a tough test for us and it was exactly what we needed in the first round. I am pleased with how we performed and it gives us a lot of confidence moving forward into the tournament.”
No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 42 Miami 0
1. #11 ShabazCourtney (UVa) def. #81 Blocker/Simon (UM) 8-5
2. #32 Barrick/Singh (UVa) vs. Crowley/H.Nieto (UM) 6-6 DNF
3. Singer/Jenkins (UVa) def. Sundberg/Taboada (UM) 8-2
1. #6 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Carl Sundberg (UM) 6-1, 6-2
2. #13 Sanam Singh (UVa) led #122 Christian Blocker 3-6, 6-3, 5-0 DNF
3. #55 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. David Simon (UM) 6-3, 6-4
4. #51 Drew Courtney (UVa) led Waylon Chin (UM) 4-6, 6-2, 5-1 DNF
5. #107 Houston Barrick (UVa) def. Keith Crowley (UM) 6-3, 7-6(4)
6. Ignacio Taboada (UM) led #75 Lee Singer (UVa) 3-6, 6-4, 3-2 DNF
Order of Finish: