Cavaliers Top Georgia Tech 4-1 in ACC Semifinals
CARY, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team advanced to its seventh consecutive ACC Tournament final with a 4-1 victory over No. 24 Georgia Tech in an ACC semifinal match Saturday at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (34-1) will meet either Duke or Wake Forest on Sunday as they look to capture their fourth consecutive title and their sixth title in seven years.
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point from the Yellow Jackets (17-7). Lee Singer (Laguna Niguel, Calif.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) topped Guillermo Gomez and Dean O’Brien 8-5 at the No. 3 position before Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) clinched the opening point with their 8-5 win at No. 1 over Juan Spir and Kevin King.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly made the score 3-0 as Courtney topped Miguel Muguruza at No. 4 and Sanam Singh (Chandigarh, India) defeated King at No. 2, both by 6-2, 6-3 scores. After Georgia Tech got their lone point of the day at No. 6, where Spir defeated Singer, Jenkins clinched the victory for Virginia with his 7-6(5), 7-5 win over Eliot Potvin at No. 3.
The win was the Cavaliers’ 60th consecutive victory against conference competition, extending their ACC record. The 34th win of the season extends Virginia’s school record for a season.
“I am pleased with the performance,” said head coach Brian Boland. “We knew Georgia Tech has a talented team and is as good as anyone in the ACC. We knew they were going to pose some challenges and we were going to have to play our best tennis today. Across the board we are playing excellent tennis right now. It was a great match today and we look forward to another one tomorrow, regardless if we play Duke or Wake.”
The ACC Tournament final is slated for 11 a.m. on Sunday at the Cary Tennis Park.
No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 24 Georgia Tech 1
1. #11 ShabazCourtney (UVa) def. Spir/King (GT) 8-5
2. #32 Barrick/Singh (UVa) led #46 Potvin/Smith (GT) 6-5 DNF
3. Singer/Jenkins (UVa) def. Gomez/O’Brien (GT) 8-5
1. #9 Michael Shabaz (UVa) led #3 Guillermo Gomez (GT) 6-3, 6-7(1), 2-0 DNF
2. #15 Sanam Singh (UVa) def. #78 Kevin King (GT) 6-2, 6-3
3. #55 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #101 Eliot Potvin (GT) 7-6(5), 7-5
4. #51 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Miguel Muguruza (GT) 6-2, 6-3
5. #107 Houston Barrick (UVa) led Magin Ortega (GT) 7-6(10), 2-4 DNF
6. Juan Spir (GT) def. #68 Lee Singer (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: