Postgame Notes - Super Regional Game 2
Charlottesville Super Regional
Oklahoma 10, Virginia 7
June 13, 2010
• Attendance for Game 2 was 4,801 – a sellout.
• It was the 10th sellout at Davenport Field this season, including the fourth (and second consecutive) of NCAA postseason.
• Virginia leads the all-time series with Oklahoma, 2-1.
• Game 3 of the Super Regional will begin at 7 p.m. and televised on ESPN2. Gates will open at 5 p.m.
Noting Virginia (51-13)
• Virginia is 16-15 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including a 3-2 record during Super Regional action (2009 and 2010).
• Oklahoma’s 10 runs were the most allowed by the Cavaliers at home this season. Previously, Georgia Tech put up nine runs vs. UVa on April 10 (a 9-7 GT win). It marked just the fourth time this year Virginia has allowed double digit runs.
• The Cavaliers outhit Oklahoma 12-10 for the contest. It marked just the seventh time this season Virginia has lost when outhitting its opponent (43-7).
• Phil Gosselin continued to build on his school record for single season hits, going 3-for-5 at the plate today. He has 99 hits on the year.
• Gosselin also contributed three RBI and has 61 for the year, moving into sixth place on the school’s single season list. Teammate Steven Proscia, with one RBI, moved into a tie for third with 65 RBI. Former Cavalier Joe Koshansky (2004) holds the mark with 67 RBI.
• Sophomore Keith Werman, who singled, has hits in 21 of his last 23 games and has UVa’s longest active hitting streak with hits in his last nine contests.
• Relief pitchers Justin Thompson (13th appearance this season) and Neal Davis (20th) each made their first appearances of the NCAA Tournament. Both last appeared May 27 vs. Florida State, an 11-4 loss in the ACC Tournament.
• The Cavaliers have not lost back-to-back games this season.
Noting Oklahoma (48-16)
• Oklahoma is 74-63 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including a 2-3 mark in Super Regional play, which began in 1999.
• Both of OU’s Super Regional victories have come in game two of the three-game series.
• Oklahoma has never won a Super Regional, falling to Rice in its only other appearance in 2006, two games to one.
• Oklahoma has not lost back-to-back games since falling on the road to Texas Tech on April 17 (7-3) and April 18 (9-3).
• The Sooners are an undefeated 39-0 this season when leading after six innings (led 10-7 after six).
• OU is 21-1 on the year when scoring 10+ runs. Its only loss was a 12-11 decision to Missouri on April 11.
• Sophomore Cody Reine’s two home runs marked the first time this season he has gone yard twice, marking his seventh and eighth long balls of the year.
• Teammate Garrett Buechele was the last Sooner to hit two home runs in the same game (vs. Kansas State, May 29).
• Riene has hits in 14 of the last 17 games.