Cavalier Golfers win Second Consecutive Tournament
Jonesboro, Tenn. – The 25th-ranked Virginia men’s golf team won its second consecutive tournament of the season, placing first at The Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at The Ridges in Jonesboro, Tenn. Virginia posted a final round score of 10-under 278 to overtake Kent State, which entered the final round with a four-shot lead on the Cavaliers. UVa finished the tournament at 11-under 853, shooting 20-under over the final 36 holes. The Golden Flashes were second at 857.
The Cavaliers placed first at their last outing, the Gary Koch Intercollegiate in Tampa, Fla., that took place Oct 2-3.
The victory at The Ridges marked the first time since the 2007-08 season the Cavaliers have won multiple tournaments in the same season. It is the first time since 1994 UVa has posted victories in back-to-back tournaments. The win is the eighth team title under seventh-year coach Bowen Sargent. UVa has managed at least one tournament victory in each of the last six seasons.
Freshman Ben Rusch (Weinfelden, Switzerland) led UVa with a second-place finish, shooting 6-under 210. Sunday he carded a 3-under 69, matching his second-round score. Rusch was spectacular over his final two-and-a-half rounds. After shooting 3-over through his first nine holes during Friday’s opening round, Rusch carded 10 birdies and 34 pars over his next 44 holes and did not record another bogey until his final hole of the tournament.
Amory Davis posted his second consecutive top-10 finish, placing 10th at 3-under 213. He shot 71 during the final round. It marked the eighth time during his career he has finished in the top 10.
Will Collins and Ben Kohles matched Rusch’s final-round score with 69s of their own. Collins moved up to 12th place at 1-under 215 and Kohles was 24th at 3-over 219. Bruce Woodall shot 73 Sunday and was 30th at 5-over 221.
Kent State’s Mackenzie Hughes took medalist honors at 13-under 203, including a 65 during the final round.
Virginia wraps up its fall season at the U.S. Collegiate in Alpharetta Oct. 24-25.
Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate at The Ridges
The Ridges Golf and Country Club
Par 72, 7147 yards
1. Virginia 297-278-278-853
2. Kent State 291-280-286-857
3. Chattanooga 299-283-282-864
4. Wake Forest 300-282-285-867
5. Michigan 303-290-280-873
5. Tennessee 299-290-284-873
7. North Carolina 295-290-291-876
8. East Tennessee State 305-291-282-878
9. UNC Wilmington 296-282-301-879
9. Virginia Tech 300-291-288-879
11. Missouri 295-289-301-885
12. Louisville 309-295-284-888
13. Coastal Carolina 305-295-289-889
14. Denver 314-296-303-913
1. Mackenzie Hughes, Kent State 72-66-65-203
2. Ben Rusch, Virginia 72-69-71-210
2. Joey Garber, Michigan 72-67-71-210
4. Stephan Jaeger, Chattanooga 73-70-68-211
4. Jace Long, Missouri 70-68-73-211
4. Darren Renwick, Tennessee 71-71-69-211
4. John Hahn, Kent State 68-72-71-211
8. Jack Fields, North Carolina 72-70-70-212
8. Benjamin Weilguni, Chattanooga 71-69-72-212
10. Lee Bedford, Wake Forest 73-70-65-213
10. Amory Davis, Virginia 72-70-71-213
2. Ben Rusch 72-69-69-210
10. Amory Davis 72-70-71-213
12. Will Collins 75-71-69-215
24. Ben Kohles 78-72-69-219
30. Bruce Woodall 80-68-73-221