Men's Tennis Downs Boston College 7-0
WEYMOUTH, Mass. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team was victorious in its first road match of the season, downing Boston College 7-0 Sunday at the Weymouth Club. The Cavaliers improve to 10-0 this season (3-0 ACC), while the Eagles fall to 2-3 (0-1 ACC). The victory extended Virginia’s ACC-record win streak it posted its 66th consecutive win against conference competition.
In doubles, the Cavaliers swept all three matches to take a 1-0 lead. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) won at the top spot in a tiebreaker after Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) won at No. 2 and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Philippe Oudshoorn (Apeldoorn, The Netherlands) won at No. 3.
In singles, Virginia swept all six matches, five of them in straight sets. Domijan won at No. 1, Courtney was victorious at No. 2, Uriguen won at No. 3, Shane posted a win at No. 4 and Santiago Villegas (Bogota, Colombia) won at No. 6, all in straight sets. At No. 5, Oudshoorn rallied from losing the first set to win in a third-set superbreaker to complete the sweep.
Virginia will head to Seattle this week for the 2011 ITA National Team Indoor Championships, hosted by the University of Washington from Friday-Monday. The Cavaliers look for their unprecedented fourth consecutive ITA National Team Indoors title.
#1 Virginia 7, Boston College 0
1. Courtney/Rooda (UVa) def. Muppidi/Grokenberger (BC) 8-7(5)
2. Domijan/Shane (UVa) def. Skinner/McGinnis (BC) 8-3
3. Uriguen/Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Davison/Kreutzer (BC) 8-2
1. #3 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Akash Muppidi (BC) 7-5, 7-5
2. #17 Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 6-3, 6-3
3. #77 Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 7-6(1), 6-4
4. #105 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 7-6(0), 6-3
5. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Michael McGinnis (BC) 4-6, 7-6(3), 10-7
6. Santiago Villegas (UVa) def. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) 6-4, 6-4