Women's Tennis Blanks Virginia Tech in ACC Opener
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 8 Virginia women’s tennis team opened its conference schedule with a 7-0 win over No. 68 Virginia Tech Sunday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 12-2 overall (1-0 ACC), while the Hokies fall to 5-6 overall (1-2 ACC).
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and Rashmi Teltumbde (Mumbai, India) gave UVa the early edge by downing Shannon Betts and Tea Ivanovic 8-1 at the No. 3 position. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) clinched the opening point with an 8-4 win at No. 2 over Martha Blakely and Courtney Rauscher.
In singles, the Cavaliers won all six matches, five in straight sets. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 win over Yasmin Hamza at the top spot to make the score 2-0. Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) extended the advantage to 3-0 as she won 6-1, 6-2 over Ivanovic at No. 3. Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) clinched the victory when she completed a 6-3, 6-3 win over Isel Martinez-Marcos at No. 6. Vierra posted a 7-5, 6-1 win over Holly Johnson at No. 4 and Hardenbergh added a 6-2, 6-4 win over Blakely at No. 2. Fuccillo completed the shutout with her 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 5 over Betts.
“I was impressed with our team this weekend,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It is always tricky when you play on the road one day and home the next, but we handled that well. We have played a lot of tennis over the first two months of the season and we have expended a lot, both physically and mentally. They deserve this upcoming break and we look to come back refreshed and ready for the rest of a challenging ACC schedule.”
The Cavaliers will be off until March 18, when they host Boston College. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is 1 p.m.
#8 Virginia 7, #68 Virginia Tech 0
1. Hamza/Johnson (VT) def. #11 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) 8-6
2. #49 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Blakely/Rauscher (VT) 8-4
3. #35 Fuccillo/Teltumbde (UVa) def. Betts/Ivanovic (VT) 8-1
1. #50 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Yasmin Hamza (VT) 6-1, 6-3
2. #42 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. #120 Martha Blakely (VT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #97 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT) 6-1, 6-2
4. #82 Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Holly Johnson (VT) 7-5, 6-1
5. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: