Women's Tennis Defeats Boston College 6-1
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team opened its home outdoor schedule with a 6-1 win over No. 40 Boston College Friday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 13-2 overall (2-0 ACC), while the Eagles (7-6, 2-1 ACC) suffered their first conference loss of the season.
Virginia took a 1-0 lead with the help of two new doubles pairings. At No. 2, Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) teamed with Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) for an 8-3 win over Veronica Corning and Erina Kikuchi. The new team of Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) at No. 3 clinched the opening point for the Cavaliers with an 8-5 win over Katharine Attwell and Katarina Gajic. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton Fla.) completed the sweep with an 8-6 win at the top spot over Alex Kelleher and Olga Khmylev.
In singles, the Cavaliers extended their lead to 2-0 as Fraser topped Kelleher 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 1 position. Hardenbergh followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 2 over Kikuchi. Fuccillo clinched the victory with her 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 over Attwell. The teams split a pair of third-set match tiebreakers, with Corning winning for the Eagles at No. 4 and Peretz winning at No. 6 for Virginia. Tomljanovic closed out the match with a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 3 over Gajic to make the final score 6-1.
“Any time you can come out in your outdoor home opener and get a conference win, it is a good day,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “I was proud of the effort today. We had some new doubles pairings today and those players rose to that challenge and I was impressed with that. The players did a good job this week in practice preparing for this weekend. That effort showed today and hopefully we will be able to raise it to an even higher level on Sunday at Maryland.”
The Cavaliers will visit No. 34 Maryland on Sunday.
#11 Virginia 6, #40 Boston College 1
1. #20 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Kelleher/Khmylev (BC) 8-6
2. Fuccillo/Vierra (UVa) def. Corning/Kikuchi (BC) 8-3
3. Hardenbergh/Peretz (BC) def. Attwell/Gajic (BC) 8-5
1. #55 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Alex Kelleher (BC) 6-3, 6-2
2. #71 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Erina Kikuchi (BC) 6-1, 6-2
3. #96 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Katarina Gajic (BC) 7-5, 6-4
4. Veronica Corning (BC) def. #80 Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-4, 3-6, 10-2
5. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Katharine Attwell (BC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Ina Kauppila (BC) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
Order of Finish: