Women's Tennis Edged 4-3 by No. 6 Miami
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 17 Virginia women’s tennis team’s bid for its second top-10 win of the season came up just short, falling 4-3 to No. 6 Miami on Saturday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (13-4, 2-2 ACC) rallied from down 3-0 to tie the match before the Hurricanes (12-4, 4-1 ACC) won the decisive match.
Miami took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) defeated Melissa Bolivar and Gabriela Mejia 8-5 at No. 2, but the Hurricanes won at No. 1 and No. 3 to take a 1-0 lead in the dual match.
Virginia looked to rally in singles and took four of the six first sets. However, in the two matches the Hurricanes won the first set, they closed out the matches in straight sets to extend their lead to 3-0. The Cavaliers’ comeback began as Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) completed a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 5 over Danielle Mills. Hardenbergh added a 6-3, 0-6, 6-1 win at No. 2 over Anna Bartenstein and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) tied the match with her 7-6(5), 0-6, 6-3 win at No. 3 over Mejia. In the final match on the courts, Kayla Rizzolo rallied for a 6-7(3), 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 4 over Vierra to give Miami the victory.
“I was pleased with the effort today,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It is a loss, and it still hurts, but this is the level that we should be playing at. We were coming off a loss last weekend where the level wasn’t anywhere near where it needed to be. I thought we showed some toughness and character to bounce back today. We just need to play at this level, if not higher, tomorrow.”
The Cavaliers will return to action on Sunday when they host No. 35 Florida State. Match time at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club is 11 a.m.
#6 Miami 4, #17 Virginia 3
1. #13 Bartenstein/Eichkorn (UM) def. #20 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) 8-2
2. #72 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Bolivar/Mejia (UM) 8-5
3. Dubins/Mills (UM) def. #47 Fuccillo/Teltumbde (UVa) 8-4
1. #6 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. #55 Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-4, 6-3
2. #71 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. #39 Anna Bartenstein (UM) 6-3, 0-6, 6-1
3. #96 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Gabriela Mejia (UM) 7-6(5), 0-6, 6-3
4. #85 Kayla Rizzolo (UM) def. #80 Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-7(3), 7-5, 6-4
5. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Danielle Mills (UM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Marjorie Baker (UVa) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: