Top-Ranked Virginia Tops NC State 6-1
RALEIGH, N.C. – The top-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team opened its final road trip of the regular season with a 6-1 win over No. 67 NC State Friday afternoon at Pullen Park. The Cavaliers (23-0, 8-0 ACC) extended their ACC-record win streak to 71 consecutive victories over conference competition, while the Wolfpack fell to 8-12 overall and 0-8 in the conference.
In doubles, the Cavaliers won two of three matches to take the opening point. At No. 3, Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Santiago Villegas (Bogota, Colombia) gave Virginia the early doubles edge with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over Julian Sullivan and Akash Gujarati. The Wolfpack drew even with an 8-6 win at No. 1, where Dominic Hodgson and Rob Lowe topped Michael Shabaz (Fairfax, Va.) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.). With the doubles point in the balance, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) downed Jaime Pulgar and Dave Thomson 8-6 at the No. 2 spot.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead as Shabaz downed Hodgson 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2. At No. 3, Uriguen rallied from down 4-1 in the first to win 11 straight games for a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Rafael Paez to make the score 3-0. Domijan clinched the victory with his 6-4, 6-4 win at the top spot over Pulgar. Shane added a 7-6(4), 6-3 win at No. 4 over Ivan Sanchez Gomez. The final two matches went three sets, with Sullivan winning at No. 5 for NC State and Villegas winning at No. 6 for Virginia.
The Cavaliers will play its final road match of the regular season on Sunday as they visit No. 34 Wake Forest. Match time at Hanes Park in Winston-Salem is 1 p.m.
#1 Virginia 6, #67 NC State 1
1. Hodgson/Lowe (NCSU) def. Shabaz/Shane (UVa) 8-6
2. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Pulgar/D.Thomson (NCSU) 8-6
3. Uriguen/Villegas (UVa) def. Gujarati/Sullivan (NCSU) 8-4
1. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #5 Michael Shabaz (UVa) def. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Rafael Paez (NCSU) 6-4, 6-0
4. #120 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Ivan Sanchez Gomez (NCSU) 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) def. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
6. Santiago Villegas (UVa) def. Dave Thomson (NCSU) 7-6(9), 3-6, 6-3
Order of Finish