Virginia Tops Army 4-0 in NCAA First Round
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 11 Virginia women’s tennis team advanced to the second round of the 2011 NCAA Women’s Tennis Tournament with a 4-0 victory over Army in a first round match Saturday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers (19-7) set a new school record for wins in a season with their 19th and will look for their first ever trip to the NCAA round of 16 when they meet NC State in the second round on Sunday.
“I was pleased with the result today,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “It is always tough to come back after the three-week break after the ACC Tournament and having exams in there too. I felt like we handled that process very well and put ourselves in a good position for this weekend with our preparation during that break. We are looking forward to a great match tomorrow against NC State.”
Virginia took a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton. Fla.) defeated Erin Colton and Annie Hang 8-1 at No. 2 doubles to give the Cavaliers the early edge. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) clinched the opening point as they closed out an 8-4 win over Annie Houghton and Jamila Paul at the top spot.
In singles, the Cavaliers started strong and quickly won all six first sets. Fraser completed a 6-1, 6-0 win over Paul at the No. 2 position to make the score 2-0. Seconds later, Hardenbergh added a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 1 over Houghton. Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) closed out the win with her 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 6 over Emily Stein. The other three matches were abandoned, two of which had the Cavaliers serving for the match.
Virginia will meet NC State in the second round on Sunday at 1 p.m. The Wolfpack defeated VCU 4-0 in Saturday’s other first round match in Charlottesville.
#11 Virginia 4, Army 0
1. #32 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. Houghton/Paul (Army) 8-4
2. #20 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Colton/Hang (Army) 8-1
3. Fuccillo/Peretz (UVa) led Ilive/Riney (Army) 7-1 DNF
1. #27 Lindsey Hardenbergh def. Annie Houghton (Army) 6-0, 6-0
2. #60 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Jamila Paul (Army) 6-1, 6-0
3. #101 Erin Vierra (UVa) led Erin Colton (Army) 6-3, 5-0 DNF
4. #118 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) led Annie Hang (Army) 6-2, 3-1 DNF
5. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) led Della Taylor (Army) 6-2, 5-1 DNF
6. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Emily Stein (Army) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: