Naurath, Olson, Perdue Highlight Day Five at U.S. Nationals
STANFORD, Calif. – A trio of Virginia women’s swimmers highlighted the fifth and final day of the ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championships Saturday in Stanford, Calif.
Rising second-year Rachel Naurath qualified for the 800-meter freestyle during Friday preliminaries with a time of 8:41.63. She finished 10th overall (8:43.95) and earned a spot on the podium.
Rising juniors Christine Olson and Lauren Perdue swam in the consolation finals Saturday. Olson recorded a 12th-place finish in the 200-meter breaststroke in 2:30.48 while Perdue was 15th in the 100-meter freestyle in 55.62.
Brady Fox and Parker Camp each swam their way into the bonus final of the 100-meter backstroke. Fox won the heat to finish 21st overall (2:02.01) while Camp was 26th (2:03.67).
Former Virginia swimmer Ed Moses placed 16th overall in the men’s 200-meter breaststroke (2L15.51), having competed in the consolation final of both the 100-meter and 200-meter breaststroke events. Rising sophomore Taylor Grey swam in the bonus final and was 27th overall (2:17.42).
Four incoming freshmen – Emily Dicus, Pearson Gean, Jackson Partin and Charlie Putman – are set to compete at the Speedo USA Swimming Junior National Championships which begin Monday at Stanford.
Additionally, Naurath, David Karasek and former swimmers Katya Bachrouche and Matt McLean will compete in the World University Games which begin Aug. 14 in Shenzhen, China.
2011 ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championships
Aug. 2-6, 2011 | Avery Aquatic Center | Stanford, Calif.
Day 5 Results
Men’s 100-Meter Backstroke
21. Brady Fox
2:02.01 / 2:04.52 prelim
26. Parker Camp
2:03.67 / 2:04.10 prelim
34. Nathan Vredeveld
2:04.71 73. Matt Murray 2:07.13 108. Serge Gould 2:10.34 Women’s 100-Meter Free
15. Lauren Perdue 55.62 / 55.49 prelim 66. Emily Lloyd 57.33 T109. Sarah White 58.06 120. Meredith Perdue 58.24 139. Emily Dicus 58.63 Men’s 200-Meter Breaststroke
16. Ed Moses* 2:15.51 / 2:15.55 prelim 26. Taylor Grey 2:17.42 / 2:17.19 prelim 114. Tom Casey 2:24.93 128. Nick Montes de Oca 2:26.98 Women’s 200-Meter Breaststroke
12. Christine Olson 2:30.48 / 2:31.23 prelim 77. Kelly Flynn 2:37.54 Men’s 1500-Meter Freestyle
22. Bradley Phillips 15:42.84 — Jon Daniec 15:42.46 Women’s 800-Meter Freestyle
10. Rachel Naurath 8:43.95 / 8:41.63 prelim 30. Katya Bachrouche* 8:51.04 66. Kelly Offutt 9:01.78 *former Virginia swimmer