Virginia Tech Postgame Notes
Virginia Tech Postgame Notes
vs. Virginia • Nov. 26, 2011
• The Hokies wore the all-white uniform combo today. Under head coach Frank Beamer (307 games including tonight), the Hokies are now 11-1 in this combo, including 3-0 now this season.
• Cody Journell has now made a field goal in all 11 games that he’s played in this season.
• With two receptions, Danny Coale has caught at least two passes in 43 of 53 career games played, and caught at least one pass in 49 of 53 contests. With four grabs, Jarrett Boykin has caught at least two passes in 42 of 52 career games played, and caught at least one pass in 48 of 52 contests.
• Senior wide receiver Danny Coale unleashed a pair of 52-yard punts in the game. He punted twice at Marshall earlier this season. He finished the game with four punts for a 47.5 yard average
• Logan Thomas scored on a 14-yard rush early in the first quarter, his 10th rushing score of the year. He needs one more to tie Bruce Arians, who had 11 rushing touchdowns in 1974, for the single-season quarterback record for rushing scores. Arians is now the offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
• With his touchdown catch in the second quarter, Jarrett Boykin now has 18 career touchdown receptions. That’s tied for the third-most in school history with Ricky Scales and trails only Antonio Freeman (23) and André Davis.
• This group of seniors has a chance to finish with the best record of any class in school history after tying the wins record today. That honor currently belongs to the Class of 2007, which went 42-11. The Class of 2008 went 42-12 and the Class of 2010 went 42-13. This senior class is currently 42-11 heading into next week’s game against Clemson.
• This marks just the second time in school history that the Hokies have won 11 games in the regular season (1999). The school record for wins in a season is 11, accomplished several times.
• The Hokies are now 53-11 in ACC games since joining the conference in 2004, and are now 25-2 in November conference games during that time. It marks tech’s 13th-straight road win, the longest active streak in the FBS.
• Since Tech lost to Clemson 23-3 on Oct. 1, quarterback Logan Thomas has accounted for 23 TDs (14 pass/9 run) and thrown just two interceptions.
• Hokies senior wide receiver Jarrett Boykin (54 catches) is on the cusp of breaking the school’s single-season receptions and receiving yards records. He needs two catches to break the record of 55 set by Ernest Wilford in 2005.
• Tight end Chris Drager now has 12 catches on the season, all going for either a first down or a touchdown.
• Detrick Bonner and J.R. Collins each recorded their first career interception. Eleven different players have registered at least one interception this season. Tech has 15 on the season.
• Tech has now won eight straight games in the series.
• David Wilson had 153 yards rushing and two touchdowns. It was his 10th 100-yard game of the season, tying former teammate Ryan Williams for the ACC single-season record. It was only his second multi-TD game this season (Appalachian State). He now has 1,595 yards on the season, putting him just 61 yards away from a new school record for rushing yards in a season.
• Logan Thomas accounted for 214 yards of total offense, giving him 2,939 yards for the season, That total is the third-most in school history for a single season, only 464 yards away from a new school record for a single season.