CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia diving coach Rich MacDonald has announced that two divers, Becca Corbett (Louisville, Ky.) and Katie Warburg (Wilton, Conn.) will join the Cavalier women’s program in 2012-13.
Corbett was a finalist at both the 2011 Junior National Diving Championships and at the 2011 Spring Junior East Championships. She won the 1-meter event at the Summer Junior Region 3 Championships while taking second in the 3-meter board at the same meet. She also had a trio of second-place performances in each event at the Summer Zone B Championships.
“We are getting an all-around diver in Becca,” MacDonald said. She comes to us from Louisville, Kentucky, where she was a three-time All-American. Becca qualified for the USA Diving National Championships in all three disciplines and was a finalist in the platform event. I like the versatility she brings to the program. I know that she will get stronger once she gets into our program and that will help her jump to the next level. She will make a big impact next season and I am really looking forward having her.”
Warburg is the first female diver in the state of Connecticut to win four consecutive high school state championships, claiming the titles on the 1-meter board. On the national level, Warburg qualified for both the 2011 Junior National Diving Championships and the YMCA National Championships, where she was runner-up on both springboard events. She also won the 1-meter event at the Summer Junior Region 1 Championships.
“Katie is a talented diver from Whirlwind Dive Club in Connecticut,” MacDonald said. “Along with her four state championships she is a four-time All-American. Katie is an extremely competitive and strong diver who specializes in the springboard events. She will be a big part in the turnaround of the female diving program. I am excited to have her with us next fall.”
Cardinal Dive Club (Mike Zender)
• Three-time All-American
• Finished ninth on the platform at the 2011 Junior National Diving Championships
• Also placed 23rd on the 3-meter and 32nd on the 1-meter at Junior Nationals
• Won the 1-meter event and took second in the 3-meter event at the 2011 USA Diving Summer Junior Region 3 Championships
Whirlwind Dive Club (Joe Soma)
• Four-time All-American
• First female diver in the state of Connecticut to win four consecutive state championships
• Finished 18th on the 1-meter and 35th on the 3-meter at the 2011 Junior National Championships
• Won the 1-meter event at the 2011 USA Diving Summer Junior Region 1 Championships
• Placed second on both the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the 2011 YMCA National Championships