Virginia Postgame Notes
Virginia vs. Auburn – Chick-fil-A Bowl
Dec. 31 2011
Virginia Game Notes
- Virginia wore orange helmets for the first time since the 1978 season.
- The contest marked the 13th-consecutive contest that the Virginia offensive line has had the same five starters – OG Austin Pasztor, OT Oday Aboushi, OG Luke Bowanko, C Anthony Mihota and OT Morgan Moses. The last time the same five players started an entire season on the offensive line at UVa was 2004.
- Virginia finishes the season with an 8-5 record and 7-11 all-time in bowl games.
- QB Michael Rocco started his 13th-straight game, the most by a UVa quarterback since Jameel Sewell started 22 in a row over the 2006 and 2007 seasons.
- Rocco’s 26 completions are a Virginia bowl record, passing Marques Hagans’ 25 in the 2005 Music City Bowl.
- Rocco’s 312 passing yards were a career high and his second over the 300-yard mark.
- With 312 passing yards against Auburn, Rocco finishes the year No. 4 all-time in UVa passing for a season with 2,671. In two seasons of the Bill Lazor offense, two QBs have placed themselves in the top four for season passing. Marc Verica had 2,799 passing yards last year. Matt Schaub owns the top two passing seasons.
- Rocco’s 312 passing yards marks the second time a UVa QB has tossed for 300 yards in a bowl game, trailing only Marques Hagans’ 358 yards in the 2005 Music City Bowl
- Rocco’s 312 passing yards marks the fifth time a UVa QB has tossed for 200 yards in a bowl game.
- Rocco surpassed the 200 yard passing mark for the seventh time on the season and in his career, placing him tied for No. 11 in the UVa annals with Scott Gardner and Symmion Willis for most 200-yard career passing games.
- WR Kris Burd’s 27-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter was his second TD catch of the season and eighth of his career.
- Burd’s second TD reception of the game gave the senior his first multiple TD receiving game of his career.
- Burd becomes only the third Cavalier to score two receiving touchdowns in a bowl game. Terrence Wilkins vs. Georgia in the 1998 Peach Bowl and Wali Lundy in the 2002 Continental Tire Bowl are the other two Cavaliers.
- With 103 receiving yards, Burd finishes his career with 2,190 yards, placing him No. 4 all-time in the UVa annals. Burd passed UVa’s Germane Crowell (2,142) and Tyrone Davis (2,153) against Auburn.
- Burd had six receptions to finish his career with 162 receptions, solidifying himself at No. 2 in the UVa record book.
- Burd now has made at least one catch in 36 of the last 37 games for the Cavaliers (only game in that streak was 2009 contest at Miami where UVa had 75 passing yards).
- Burd has at least one reception in 28-consecutive games, dating to Nov. 14, 2009. That is the second-longest streak of games in UVa history, passing Billy McMullen (2000-02). Patrick Jeffers (1993-95) is the only Cavalier to have a longer streak of games with at least one reception (31 games).
- Burd registered his ninth career 100-yard receiving game and his fifth of 2011. Burd also had 100-yard games this year against North Carolina (110), Idaho (123), Maryland (112) and Virginia Tech (100).
- Burd has 66 receptions on the year, placing him No. 4 all-time at UVa for catches in a season.
- Burd has 913 receiving yards, placing him No. 4 all-time at UVa for receiving yards in a season.