Men's Tennis Opens Season With 8-1 Win Over USF
MIAMI – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team opened its 2012 season with an 8-1 victory over No. 46 USF on Sunday at the Royal Palm Tennis Club. The match was played on clay courts and used an alternative scoring format. The Cavaliers swept all four doubles matches for one point and followed by winning seven of eight singles matches, all worth one point.
The Cavaliers (1-0) opened the match by winning all four doubles contests to take a 1-0 lead in the dual match. Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) and Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) won at No. 1, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) were victorious at No. 2, Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Phillipe Oudshoorn (Apeldoorn, The Netherlands) won at No. 3, and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) posted a win at No. 4.
Virginia won the top seven singles positions, including straight set wins at the top five spots. Jenkins, Domijan, Frank, Courtney and Shane won in straight sets, while Uriguen and Oudshoorn won in three sets.
Virginia will return to action on February 3 as it hosts Texas in its home opener at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Match time is 6 p.m. and admission is free.
#2 VIRGINIA 8, #46 USF 1
1. Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) def. Sabogal/Kilani (USF) 8-2
2. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. #60 Yoshizawa/Pramming (USF) 8-5
3. #13 Shane/Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Hagn/Marin-Salcedo (USF) 8-2
4. Uriguen/Frank (UVa) def. Acuna Gerard/De Vilchez (USF) 8-2
1. #11 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. Wael Kilani (USF) 6-1, 7-6(3)
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Federico Sabogal (USF) 6-4, 6-4
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF) 6-0, 6-2
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Lucas Marin-Salcedo (USF) 7-5, 6-4
5. #57 Justin Shane (UVa) def. Sebastian Hagn (USF) 6-2, 6-3
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) 6-0, 6-7(7), 7-6(6)
7. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
8. Oliver Pramming (USF) def. Santiago Villegas (UVa) 7-6(3), 0-6, 7-5