No. 2 Cavaliers Roll Past No. 11 Texas A&M 6-1
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team posted its third top-15 win of the weekend with a 6-1 win over No. 11 Texas A&M on Sunday afternoon at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers, who blanked No. 15 Texas 7-0 on Friday night and No. 5 Florida 6-1 on Saturday, improved to 4-0 on the season. The Aggies (4-1) suffered their first loss of the year.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point, which was played using an alternative format. The teams played four doubles matches in the match, and the each team won two. Virginia got wins from Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) won at No. 1 and Philippe Oudshoorn (Apeldoorn, The Netherlands) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) at No. 2, while the Aggies won at No. 3 and No. 4. The tiebreaker consisted of playing 10-point tiebreakers at the No. 1, 2 and 3 positions. The Cavalier team of Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) won at No. 3, while Texas A&M won at No. 2. The point came down to No. 1, where Jenkins/Courtney edged Junior Ore and Jackson Withrow 12-10 to clinch the point for Virginia.
In singles, Virginia won in straight sets at the top five positions to seal the win. Shane cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 4 over Jeremy Efferding, while Oudshoorn downed Withrow 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 to make the score 3-0. Domijan clinched the win with a 6-2, 7-6 victory over Colin Hoover at the No. 2 position. Courtney topped Ore at No. 3 and Jenkins defeated Alexis Klegou at No. 1 to make the score 6-0 before John Lewis defeated Santiago Villegas (Bogota, Colombia) in three sets at No. 6 for the Aggies’ lone point.
The win extended Virginia’s school-record home winning streak to 92 consecutive matches.
Virginia will return to action on Wednesday as it visits Maryland. Match time in College Park is 3 p.m.
#2 VIRGINIA 6, #11 TEXAS A&M 1
1. Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) def. Ore/Withrow (TAMU) 8-5
2. #13 Oudshoorn/Shane (UVa) def. Szabo/Klegou (TAMU) 8-4
3. Hoover/Lewis (TAMU) def. Domijan/Rooda (UVa) 8-6
4. Angus/Efferding (TAMU) def. Uriguen/Villegas (TAMU) 8-5
Doubles tiebreakers: #1 UVa 12-10, #2 TAMU 10-6, #3 UVa 10-5
1. #11 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #19 Alexis Klegou (TAMU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Colin Hoover (TAMU) 6-2, 7-6(5)
3. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. #104 Junior Ore (TAMU) 6-3, 7-5
4. #57 Justin Shane (UVa) def. #73 Jeremy Efferding (TAMU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) def. Jackson Withrow (TAMU) 6-1, 6-1
6. John Lewis (TAMU) def. Santiago Villegas (UVa) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: