Women's Tennis Tops Georgia Tech 4-1 on Day Two of NTI
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The ninth-ranked Virginia women’s tennis team rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 4-1 win over No. 13 Georgia Tech in a consolation match of the 2012 ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Saturday night at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improved to 6-1 on the season with the victory, while the Yellow Jackets fell to 4-3.
“The team did a great job of coming into the match with a lot of energy, which was tough after the loss last night,” said head coach Mark Guilbeau. “I was so proud of how they came out for this match. This was one of those matches where you had to win it a few times. It was really close and credit Georgia Tech for making us play winning tennis to get this victory. There were a few momentum shifts and we were able to stay composed and pull it out at the end.”
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Li Xi (Kunming, China) gave Virginia the early advantage with an 8-3 win at No. 1 over Jillian O’Neill and Alex Anghelescu. Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) clinched the point with an 8-5 win at No. 2 over Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn.
Virginia doubled its lead early in singles as Tomljanovic topped Jasmine Minor 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot. Georgia Tech cut the lead in half, to 2-1, as O’Neill defeated Fraser 7-6(4), 6-3 at the No. 1 position. Xi added a 7-6(2), 6-4 win over Christina Ngo at No. 3 to make the score 3-1 before Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) sealed the victory with her three-set win at No. 2 over Kilborn.
Virginia will conclude play at the tournament on Sunday with another consolation draw match. The Cavaliers will meet No. 5 Baylor at 6:30 p.m. Admission to the tournament is free.
#9 VIRGINIA 4, #13 GEORGIA TECH 1
1. Fraser/Xi (UVa) def. O’Neill/Anghelescu (GT) 8-3
2. Tomljanovic/Vierra (UVa) def. Blau/Kilborn (GT) 8-5
3. Fuccillo/Hardenbergh (UVa) vs. Wacker/Ngo (GT) 8-8 DNF
1. #45 Jillian O’Neill (GT) def. #29 Emily Fraser (UVa) 7-6(4), 6-3
2. #30 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-0, 6-7(6), 6-4
3. Li Xi (UVa) def. #106 Christina Ngo (GT) 7-6(2), 6-4
4. #85 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lynn Blau (GT) led #75 Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-1, 4-6, 5-1 DNF
6. #89 Caryssa Peretz (UVa) led Alex Anghelescu (GT) 6-0, 6-7(4), 3-2 DNF
Order of Finish: