No. 2 Cavaliers Blank Auburn 4-0 In NTI Opener
CHARLOTTESVILLE – The second-ranked Virginia men’s tennis team began its quest for a unprecedented fifth consecutive ITA National Team Indoor Championship with a 4-0 win over No. 16 Auburn on Friday night at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 6-0 on the season with the victory, while the Tigers (6-1) suffered their first loss of the season.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Steven Rooda (Amersfoort, The Netherlands) topped Andy Mies and Lukas Ollert 8-4 at the No. 2 position before Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) downed Dennis Lengsfeld and Lucas Lopasso 8-4 at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, Virginia doubled its lead as Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) defeated Lengsfeld 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 4 position. Domijan’s 6-4, 6-0 win at No. 2 over Alex Stamchev extended the Cavalier advantage to 3-0. Frank clinched the victory with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Dan Cochrane at No. 3 singles. Virginia was leading in all three of the matches that were abandoned.
The win was Virginia’s 93rd consecutive home victory and extended its ITA National Team Indoor win streak to 17 matches.
Virginia will play No. 9 seed Stanford in the quarterfinals on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, #16 AUBURN 0
1. Stamchev/Cochrane (AU) led #12 Jenkins/Courtney (UVa) 6-5 DNF
2. #42 Domijan/Rooda (UVa) def. Mies/Ollert (AU) 8-4
3. Frank/Uriguen (AU) def. Lengsfeld/Lopasso (AU) 8-4
1. #10 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) led #23 Andy Mies (AU) 6-4, 3-4 DNF
2. Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Alex Stamchev (AU) 6-4, 6-0
3. #1 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Dan Cochrane (AU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) 6-2, 6-4
5. #37 Justin Shane (UVa) led Lukas Ollert (AU) 7-5, 4-4 DNF
6. Philippe Oudshoorn (UVa) led Lucas Lopasso (AU) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 DNF
Order of Finish: